Kitten Causing Me A Lot Of Stress

Cats&Piggies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got a beautiful male siberian cat (family members have allergies) from a breeder at the beginning of June. I also have 2 guinea pigs that I adore. Recently, I've been growing frustrated with the kitten's behaviour. The first two months having him were fine but he all of a sudden started going crazy; he zooms around the house, jumps from the bannister to the bottom of the stairs. He won't let me cut his nails anymore and I try the towel and scruff trick but it never works, he always fights and squirms out of it. He attacks my feet and will attack when I'm not looking.

What got me super upset to the point that I had to write this was when he started really attacking my guinea pigs. Their cage is cat proof, with a roof and panels. I thought letting him near the cage would calm him down, but he just gets more aggressive. He swats at them every time I let him into my room -- he WILL NOT stop.

I try to play with him to let his pent-up energy out but he won't even do that with me anymore. I get his favourite toy, wait for 5 minutes trying to entice him play, but he just sits there. He'll only play with himself now.

To keep him away from the pigs I've stopped letting him into my room. I read online however, that keeping the cat away from his safe space will only make him more upset in the end. I do not punish him for wrong-doings, only positive reinforcement. Ever since he started this behaviour I've just ignored him now, only paying attention to him when I give him food.

I brought up my frustrations to my mother and she thinks I'm a monster for even feeling this way. "Calm down, it's not that big'o deal."

I know it's not that big of a deal, yes I understand it's a kitten, but can't help how I feel, I love all my animals and I just want them to be well-cared for, happy and SAFE.

I just REALLY need some tips on how to handle him.

Thank you xo

Notacrazycatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am not an expert by any means, but have you tried covering the pigs' cage? The kitten will still be able to smell them, but if the cage is covered so he can't see them and you distract him with treats, maybe you can teach him that he only gets treats around them which might change his attitude?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is he? This sounds like typical 'bad' 4 month old kitten behavior. They start feeling cocky and more like they can take their mama cat (you) so they start hunting their human. They don't mean to hurt their fur-less friends. A hiss or a firm ow or no (and if need be a can shaking) should stop that behavior in a while. Also distraction (like throwing a toy away from you) when they are hunting you works great. Keep mice or small toys in your pocket for throwing. A kickeroo he can bite & bunny kick might help (be sure to get the large size.)
KONG Kickeroo Giraffe Pattern Cat Toy

I would cover the guinea pig's cage with wrapping paper if need be, to block the sight. Also if it is a glass cage & he can not get in, why not let him try to get them? He will tire of it when he figures out he can't get in... then he will just watch them, like my cats bird watching through the window. Or can you move their cage to a different room? Air canisters set up around the cage might in time train your cat to stay away from the cage... or more likely to stalk the critters from a safe distance from the puffs of air.

It sounds like he has LOTS of energy. Besides 2, 20 minute play sessions a day, harness training him for safe outside time should help. A bird watching window perch is always a good idea.

I assume he is neutered? If not, starting around 5 months or so he could be more aggressive.

How To Set Healthy Boundaries For Your Cat
How To Stop Playtime Aggression In Cats
Cats And Night Crazies!

Luckytheordinary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try a different interactive toy perhaps. Maybe he is bored of his favourite toy. Buy or make different toys and rotate them every week to make sure he doesn’t get bored. Consider getting and interactive feeder for your kitty if he is food motivated. Hopefully this will help relieve pent up energy. My 4 1/2 month kitten usually exhibits similar behaviours when he has playful energy. He doesn’t claw me but he paws at my leg than runs away. I usually just take out a wand toy and do several loops around the house (20 minutes to 40 minutes of play) and then he will find a place to sleep (Usually the tile floor where it is cool).

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are animals that cannot have a million years of instinct trained out of them. To avoid tragedy, NEVER leave the cat alone with the pigs.
An older cats would be calmer around them, and eventually your kitten will get used to them. But they are still small rodents and the cat WILL instinctively attack.
Kittens are high energy. I describe their racing around and craziness a the 'cat crazies'. Even older cats do it once in a while. As he gets older he will calm down, but kittens having high energy should be known to every cat owner. That is why many people adopt older cats, to avoid all the problems you are having. Just like a toddler you have to accept it and learn ways to deal with it. He is not doing it to annoy you, he is a baby and doing what kittens do.
As fro trimming his nails, why? I have had most likely over a hundred cats in my lifetime, and have never trimmed nails on any of them.That is a human preference. To me when you trim, the cat will scratch even more to sharpen the claws back up. I have NEVER seen a cat with overgrown nails. If you provide him with something to scratch on he will be fine. The corrugated cardboard scratchers at Walmart are great.
Attacking your feet is instinct, and since he doesn't have a playmate, you are it. It is fun. If you don't like it, get a 'Kickeroo' on Amazon, a long filled cat toy, and throw it to distract him from you. Cats can't resist them. If he persists, take him by the loose skin on the back of the neck and hold him still for a few seconds, saying NO loudly or even hissing at him. is how mama cats do it. You have to be consistent and do this every time. if you let him attack you even once, you will have to start over with all training.
you are frustrated because he is more of a handful than you thought. But he loves you and will become a wonderful companion. Take some advise from us older folks and chill a little bit, don't make things bigger than they are, just love him and enjoy him while he is so cute and small, they grow up so fast! All the luck!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. It sounds like your kitten is getting older, and his natural hunter instincts are kicking in when he sees your guinea pigs. Hopefully when he becomes an adult he'll realize they're family, not prey. But for now, for their safety, you will have to cat proof their cage.

TCS has an article on Cats And Small Furries that might have some tips for you.

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kittens are just like that. I have a kitten she she also races all over the place and goes nuts sometimes, attacking my blinds, annoying my older cat, meowing her head off and climbing on everything, stealing things to toss around. It's just kind of something you have to deal with.

My kitten (Honey) doesn't attack to play but my mom's cat did when she was a kitten. She would get a crazy look and climb right up your leg with her little razor claws- ouch. But as long as you diiscourage her, not playing back with her using your body and making high pitched noises to let her know she hurt you and scare her off, she'll grow out of it.

Kittens are crazy... I told myself I'd never get one but then talked myself into "It'll be fun to have the crazy memories and pictures of when she was small! It'll be over in time...."

But she will mellow out. Its just normal kitten behavior. Then you will be able to take for granted leaving things out and having hanging things in your house again... and the cat should eventually learn to ignore the piggies more. But never trust her alone with them where she could get them

Also, I wouldn't bother with her claws either. There's no real point it doesn't discourage scratching or help the cat. Just an unpleasant experience for both of you.