Kitten care after neuter

Elemteacherjoy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a foster kitten (approx. 14 weeks old, I think, now) who I will be officially adopting after his neuter tomorrow. :) I was wondering though, do I need to do anything to attempt (emphasis on the attempt, lol) to keep him from doing a lot of running and/or jumping/climbing after? I've read things about trying to keep them low key, and from climbing and jumping for about 10 days.

Technically, I do have that capability as I have a large animal playpen that I use to keep foster kittens in when I'm not around, but he loves to roam and play around my room, jump on and off my bed, etc. Should I try to prevent this at all? Should I wait to put up the new cat tree I'm getting?

Also, is there any length of time I should wait to allow him to free roam unsupervised (not referring to his neuter, but just in general)? Since he's been a foster, he's already pretty used to me and my home, and he's been alone for short periods of time, but never while I've been gone for hours at a time or sleeping.

I'm probably way over thinking everything (chronic worrier here). :blush: Thanks!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats, especially kittens recover VERY quickly after a neuter. Just try to keep him a little contained until he is no longer wobbly from the anesthesia. I would wait maybe a few days before putting up a tree, because that is new and may cause him to put forth bigger efforts at jumping and climbing. Mine have jumped like onto a bed, couch, etc. with no ill effects. I have never used a cone on my boys and all have done well. There may be a little blood, some swelling in the neuter area, watch for fresh blood in bigger amounts (not drops) and discharge that is colored green or white. It is almost impossible to restrain them, and most are good about at least keeping it a little restarined for a day or two. He my lick the area at first, but then will clean as he used to. Don't let him chew at the area, although I have never had one do so. Watch for his first urination/elmination, to make sure everything is OK that way, urination should happen fairly quickly, bowel movements may be delayed a day or two because he has had no food/water for a while before the surgery. Anesthesia also slows down the bowels, he may be a little constipated at first, encourage lots of water. I set several bowls around to get them curious and then they drink once they are there. Try to provide a litter that has little dust and bigger particles. Just try to observe the neuter area for the first week and make sure there is nothing that looks like infection. The cat's behavior is the best indication of something wrong. If he starts hiding, or becomes inactive, stops eating, etc. that is the time to contact the vet.