Kitten Can’t Walk Or Stand

Nokittah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my kitten is around 12 or 13 weeks I’d say, he could walk when we first got him around 5 weeks old but was wobbly. Now he can’t stand or walk at all, we have to take him to use the litter box, eat, and drink. Me and my boyfriend both work a lot and can’t be home 24/7, he often soils himself and we will have to bathe him. I feel very bad for him because he can’t play and run around.. I am considering euthanasia because I feel as if his quality of life is low.. I would like some insight to see if this is the best thing for him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nokittah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes! Twice with the same vet, she told us to maybe consider euthanasia because she doesn’t know how good the quality of life would be for him if he can’t walk. It makes me feel depressed and guilty to think about it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Does he have any strength in his front legs, where you could maybe get one of those little carts for his backend? That would help a little, if it's possible.

Nokittah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Possibly, I’m not sure. We can’t even tell because he can’t stand up, we try holding him while he tries to walk but he just meows which I can’t tell if it’s from frustration or joint pain.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh my gosh, poor baby, poor you!
I guess my concern, which I'm sure you've thought of, is that along with the pee and poop issues, --which will get worse because he won't be able to get normal exercise so his digestive system will not be functioning at optimum, but he can't eat and drink on a normal schedule without help. Being a kitten, he should be eating a lot ...

mcginnisr201

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has the vet actually made a diagnoses as to the cause of his problem? If not, please find one that will! Then make the decision.
Yes, if I were you, I would want to know what medical condition was preventing him from walking. It may very well be a permanently debilitating condition, in which case putting him to test may be the best decision, but what if it’s something treatable/temporary?

Nokittah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We stretch his hind legs and try to get him to exercise but if we do it for too long he will cry like he does when he gets baths:( I love him and he was a street kitten that we rescued so at least we know he is better off with us than in the street. We have an adult cat who is fully healthy and I can’t help but feel like he’s depressed at times bc he will see him run, jump, and play. We try to give him just as much if not more emotion attention as the adult cat.

mcginnisr201

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, if I were you, I would want to know what medical condition was preventing him from walking. It may very well be a permanently debilitating condition, in which case putting him to test may be the best decision, but what if it’s something treatable/temporary?
Oops, sorry, just saw your reply above with the name of the condition. I don’t know what that is, but I might still seek a second opinion.

Nokittah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just don’t understand how he went from walking with little Bambi legs to full on not being able to support himself, neither does the vet. I will seek a second opinion and I’ve already considered a kitten wheelchair and possibly a very very very low dose of cbd for his joints and muscles. He is not on meds so the cbd wouldn’t affect it.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I dreaded coming here, and finding that I was the only response so far...I have so little that I could tell you. DO see if you can get a definite diagnosis. Once you do, IF you feel that caring for him is beyond you, we may, just may be able to help you find a special interest rescue group who could take him. They're often overwhelmed, but they are out there.

Nokittah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I will keep this thread updated! I know I am doing everything in my power to care for him but it still doesn’t feel like it’s enough because of my job. It makes me sad to think of letting go of him in anyway because I have bonded with him. But I want what’s best for him in the end. I will let you know as soon as I can with results