kitten cannot move back legs anymore / diet

saabuhamda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
37 days old. i closed the door normally the kitten screamed and pooped herself. unable to move feet 100% loss of movement. took her straight to vet.
then the vet said she will recover, but her foot on one back leg is still limp. is it possible she will recover? if so, how long? I believe its only nerve damage. if the feeling doesn't come back; do i have to put the kitten to sleep so she doesn't suffer? I can take a pic if needed.

luda macka

meow ♡
Young Cat
Purraise
Did you do an ultrasound and/or xray? Can you take her to a neurologist? Was she given any pain meds?
I mean, even if this causes her to lose a leg- she will be fine. Plenty of 3 legged cats out there living their best lives. Even if she ends up in a kitty wheelchair- she doesn't necessarily have to suffer and she can have a fun fulfilling life just like any normal cat. It will just mean you will need to take super extra care of her in the future.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saabuhamda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
no special imaging, the vet said she will recover 100%. I am still worried. The vet also said there is no need for imaging since nothing was actually broken. The vet gave her a shot. since the baby is too young for surgery. Medicine for her 3 times a day by mouth. in two weeks she will get another shot. what do you think?

luda macka

meow ♡
Young Cat
Purraise
I would have at least asked for an xray to confirm nothing is broken.. what kind of medication was she given?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Any changes? Is it swollen? If not, it is almost certainly not broken, and gentle massage and flexing of the joint may help.

saabuhamda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ok so good news! the hip was dislocated with one of the legs, but she couldn't move both legs. however, she got caught being a little piggy being fat belly even though she fits in one hand so they put her on diet, gave and oral medication not sure what, [brown paste] then she was taken off walking and put in the kennel for 3 weeks did two more xrays. there was progress on the distance of seperation of the bones, then finally this week she passed her xray with inflamation of the bone only. [there was no swelling] just dragging back legs to answer your question. but nowwwwwwwwwwww she is running and playing again. including climnbing and jumping. her jump to the ground from couch is kinda effected with her only trusting her front legs so she kicks like a horse. but i love her so much! here are some clips of the progress and the kitten. they saw her belly in the picture and put her on a strict diet. lol with their supplement of course... thank you all for the support. oh looks like you can't upload videos, here are some pictures then.

Attachments

nartyteek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kittens can heal in the most amazing ways. I shut my cat in the door 17 years ago. Squished his head so hard we thought he might die, but he's still ticking. And he still stands in doorways all. The. Time. So annoying.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I'm confused, is she on a diet in order to keep her weight in check to avoid stress on the joints? Typically kittens need to eat as much as they want in order to grow properly. Are you giving her high protein food?

saabuhamda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kittens can heal in the most amazing ways. I shut my cat in the door 17 years ago. Squished his head so hard we thought he might die, but he's still ticking. And he still stands in doorways all. The. Time. So annoying.
amazing. and so funny at the same time.

saabuhamda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would question putting a kitten on a diet. They are growing and should be able to eat as much as they want. Putting a kitten on a diet could cause malnutrition.
well first her poop was liquid so they said that's because she eats too much and gave her the shot for parvo just incase then they caught me over feeding her a second time and gave me a measuring cup. marked it with a line and said once a day. i like her small not plump and over weight. but yeah diet for her weight not for joints.

saabuhamda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm confused, is she on a diet in order to keep her weight in check to avoid stress on the joints? Typically kittens need to eat as much as they want in order to grow properly. Are you giving her high protein food?
yes she gets a supplement squeeze tube food and a little bit of hard food. for kittens.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
well first her poop was liquid so they said that's because she eats too much and gave her the shot for parvo just incase then they caught me over feeding her a second time and gave me a measuring cup. marked it with a line and said once a day. i like her small not plump and over weight. but yeah diet for her weight not for joints.
I really am not happy about questioning a vet, but kittens are never only fed once a day. That really is a recipe for problems.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
saabuhamda saabuhamda Please do not put your kitten on a diet!

Kittens need to be able to eat as much as they want for at least the first year. It is impossible to over feed a kitten. A bloated belly may be a sign that she has worms, but most kittens do have a little round belly, just the same as most healthy human babies do.

She needs proper nutrition so that her bones and muscles can heal properly and continue to grow. If you restrict her food intake now it will cause all sorts of development problems for her.

A supplement is fine, but she needs proper canned kitten food three times a day. I would recommend free feeding her as much dry food as she will eat as well.

Please take a look at this article.

The Essentials Of Kitten Nutrition – TheCatSite Articles

saabuhamda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Was she tested for worms? That can cause a bloated belly.
At the least, give her one of these recipes of kitten glop, but she needs to be fed more as soon as possible.
Kitten Glop Recipes - Supplementing Cats and Kittens with nutritious formula you make at home: presented by Bengal Cat breeder Foothill Felines.
she was given a deworm shot or gel, omg i don't know what to do. well how much is she suppose to eat? she doesn't stop eating... and can't control herself yet

saabuhamda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
they said no wet food no treats.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
She needs either wet food or wet and dry food, as much as she can eat daily .

This is from the article linked above
Kittens usually eat several small meals a day. Their stomach is too small to contain all the food. It is best to free-feed kittens and let them nibble throughout the day.