Kitten Bums Smell Weird...like Food?

Espalia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I’ve read a lot of posts about kitten butts smelling like poop - I lived that nightmare for about 3 weeks while my kittens overcame their diarrhea. I used to clean their butts at least once a day because they would have bits of diarrhea stuck to their bums and it would reek.

Once they started overcoming that problem, I noticed something odd - their butts no longer smelled like poop, but they still smell strongly. I would describe the smell as similar to dry cat food - sort of an oily, strongish smell. Nothing like poop, though.

I do have a sensitive nose, but I’ve also had cats for my whole life and I’ve never experienced this. I think the kittens smell it too because Marcel will sometimes go to town licking Terrence’s bum (he smells a little stronger than Marcel). Doesn’t seem to help much when he does that. Also, Terrence seems to have slightly better hygiene than Marcel in general so I am thinking it’s not a hygiene issue.

My first thought is obviously their food - I feed them three meals of wet food and free feed Nature’s Variety Instinct kitten dry food. They also get into my older cats food, which is just the adult, rabbit-flavored version of theirs. When I switched to Instinct I did notice that the food smelled a little stronger than the Wildnerness Blue Buffalo that Cookie ate before. I wouldn’t say their bum smell is exactly the same as their food. Has anyone experienced this before? The kittens are only 13 weeks old, so maybe it will go away as they get older? I’m a little hesitant to switch them onto a new food because it took so long to clear up the diarrhea and we seem to be in a good place these days.

I’m also taking them in for their shots next week, so I’ll definitely mention it to the vet.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is it possible they aren't fully digesting their food, even though the diarrhea has cleared up? It can take a while for digestive systems to fully heal and work properly after a long illness like that. Maybe it will improve in time.

Or, being kittens, maybe they sit in or play in their food dish sometimes, getting the food smell on their fur.