Kitten Bloody Stool And Weight

simplysyl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Vanilla is 4 and a half months old. I’m worried about her weight. She is a big breed ragdoll cat and currently weighs 5 lb I think she is underweight because I have another ragdoll at the same age and he weighs 7 lb. She hasn’t been neutered yet, but I plan to get her fixed when she’s atleast 5months old. This week I noticed blood in her stool.. it happens occasionally.. I attached photos of it. I don’t know if I should be concerned and take her to the vet immediately or next week when she’s due for her pre neutering check up. Does anyone know the cause of blood in her stool? What may be the possibilities? Other symptoms included frequent sneezing which has been ongoing since the day I got her 1 month ago.. she also snores during her sleep. She eats normally and is very playful.. showing no signs of pain. I only feed her high quality wet pouches by nature’s menu and other good brands. She’s indoor only.
I am struggling with money at the moment so I hope it’s nothing serious that requires surgery.
Some advice would be helpful so I know what to expect when I go to the vets.

Attachments

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She needs to see a vet ASAP.

Blood in stool can sometimes be a minor issue for adults, just problems as they age. But in a kitten it is more serious and requires prompt vet care. As to what to expect, I am not sure but if she is truly underweight and not just smaller plus the bloody stool it could be something serious. The bright red makes me think colon or rectum issue but I am less familiar with problems in that area.

Please see a vet as soon as you can and let us know how it goes.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would take her to the vet right away. The size difference wouldn't worry me so much (females are generally smaller than males of the same age), but blood in stool is not normal and you need to make sure it isn't something serious.

I'm assuming you got her from a breeder? I would also suggest giving the breeder a call and talking with him/her about Vanilla's symptoms. The breeder may have information that would be useful to you and your vet.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I think it would be good idea to get her to a vet ASAP. Has she been vaccinated yet? I guess your breeder would have made sure she's had all her shots before allowing her to go to her new home, but please make sure you have all the paper work about her blood tests, vaccinations etc when you go to the vet.

Good luck, hope it's nothing too serious.

:crossfingers:

Aieko

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm with everyone. Vet.
Bloody stool can be something serious or not, either way, the vet is the best option. Vanilla is so cute! I hope she's alright.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

simplysyl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took her to the vets this morning. They said her temperature is good, and she is quite small for her age and doesn’t want her to be any skinnier. When the vet took the thermometer out of her anus, there was blood on it.
The vet prescribed her some panucur paste for deworming.. once a day for 3 days to see if her condition improves.
In total that costed £48 (£10 for just the paste which costs £5 from other shops). I don’t know if worms has anything to do with it because she was dewormed by the breeder before I got her. The next step would be stool test if she doesn’t get better that would cost over £100 to send off to a lab. Problem is I can’t afford these atm so I’m not sure what to do. I’m worried :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

simplysyl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And she’s not eating the paste

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hopefully the dewormer helps. It can sometimes take multiple deworming treatments to get rid of works so they may have been ones that survived the original breeder deworming. :vibes:

Please let us know how she is doing. This also gives you some time to review finances, ask friend or family for help and/or see if you qualify for CareCredit or other finance options. While I hope for the best, that the dewormer solves the problem, it is always best to plan for the worst.

sami125

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been going through this same thing with my girl since I have gotten her (a little over a year now). The medications didn't help so we tried the diet approach. While it worked for some time, she stopped liking her prescription diet so I'm currently trying to find something else that works. However, definitely try the de-worming as every cat is different and possibly talk to your vet about diet if the problem persists!! Hope your kitten's bloody stools resolve!