Kitten Bleeding After Spay

nachoandsoma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi All,

I'm in a bit of a panic. My 6 month old kitten was spayed 4 days ago and seemed to be recovering very well. I regularly check her incision and it looks good. Soma sleeps right next to me every night and when I woke up this morning I noticed my shirt had a lot of dry blood on it. I immediately checked her incision site but it looked totally fine. I left for a couple hours and when I came back she was napping in the windowsill. As soon as she got up I noticed a small puddle of blood.

The blood is definitely coming from her vaginal area and it is quite heavy. I called the vet that performed her surgery and he said that she is probably in heat. But, he also said that she showed no signs of being in heat when her spay was performed.

I am worried sick and I'm frustrated that the vet doesn't think she needs to be seen especially since she wasn't in heat when the surgery was performed. Why would she suddenly go into heat after being spayed??? She isn't exhibiting any other signs of being in heat. She's just bleeding and bleeding a lot. I just purchased some pet diapers so the blood doesn't get everywhere but she kicks them off seconds after I put them on.

Please help. Any advice would be appreciated.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She needs to go to a vet, and ideally a different vet. She could have internal bleeding. Please let us know!

themundame

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has the kitty been in close proximity to a male before being spayed? I'm wondering because I've read that vaginal bleeding after a spay could actually be caused by a pregnancy, interrupted by the spay. However, I've no idea if that's possible in your case. I would agree with talkingpeanut, take the cat to another vet urgently. If she's losing so much blood, it's a life-threatening condition. Also, I've never heard that cats being in heat bleed that much - or at all. My cats never did neither before or after getting spayed, and I've two females, 3 and 2 years old respectively. Try to get in touch with an emergency vet service and at least ask them for an opinion as well. Also, switching vets seems like a good idea. It's possible that they botched the operation pretty bad, since you said the op site looks good. I hope everything turns out fine! Sending good vibes your way.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

nachoandsoma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both. Will be taking her in soon as advised by 3 other vet services. She has been in contact with my male cat but he was neutured years ago.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you taking her in today?  I'm concerned that this is an emergency.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nachoandsoma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I most certainly am. I just can't believe that the people that performed her surgery aren't concerned. It's making this process very difficult. I will give an update as soon as I know what is going on. In the meantime, she is acting like her normal self, bleeding aside.

themundame

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Let's hope for the best! I can't believe that the vet office responsible for the surgery is taking no interest in your concern... Maybe if the new vet you're taking her to finds what's wrong, you can take some legal action against the original vet to cover costs? I'm not sure how that would work, if this case could be due to negligence or malpraxis... but I think you deserve a much better treatment. All the best! 

parisinthe30sx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I second taking her to a vet. keep an eye on her gum color, if her poo is black and tarry then I would definitely take her in. Ask your vet about "stump pyometra" However after my cat was spayed, she bled a small amount off and on for the first three days, my vet didn't seem overly concerned though I sure was.It might have been because during her surgery it was found that she had two kittens which died inside of her a few weeks prior, she was a stray so I didn't know she had been pregnant.I caught her just in time. She was fine on the fourth day though-no more blood. I don't know if that's the reason or if it's common for a little blood after surgery. It's possible that it could be a bladder infection or It could be left over blood maybe from your cats last heat or blood that was caused by the surgery and is slowly making it's way out? Sorry I can't be more help. good luck I hope your kitty is ok!!