Kitten biting

lauralouise93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bella my beautiful kitten is 15 weeks old - she's a sweetheart - until she starts BITING OUCHHHH!!! Honestly it hurts! Any advice on how to stop this behaviour? It's getting out of control

thecatzmeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is one thread about this problem. Basically if kittens have left their litter too soon, they do not learn good social skills. Bottle babies are the worst. Here is one thread that deals with this. There are others but I cannot remember where at the moment.

hand raised bad catty

I read the suggested thread, and other threads on this topic. I have a kitten, whom I rescued from my car's engine last month, around 7 weeks old. She's about 12 weeks now and basically c-r-a-z-y! I have multiple bite marks and scratches all over me. I tell her OUCH or NO really loudly and push her away. I scruff her at the neck. She just squirms. Other cats you do that, and they calm down. Not this one. The thing is, I have tons of toys and multiple cat trees. I have five older cats and none of them want anything to do with her. She basically lunges at them, trying to bite their legs. Not in mean spirited way, but she plays way too rough. They run from her. Sigh. My alpha female could probably teach her some manners but she's pretty much a loner and wants nothing to do with any other cat, much less a hyperactive kitten. I will get a bigger toy, per suggestion mentioned and keep it handy when she's trying to play. She will be fixed next month. Any other suggestions would be helpful. TY

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think you'll find desexing will help massively. I think you may find she's a little older than you think as ferals or abandoned kittens are often malnourished and smaller than they should be. I have a 18month old who was a terror in her "teen" years. Persistence beats resistance. She'll learn keep reacting, keep teacher and be patient. She may be heading in that way.
Praise is a good motivator. If your cats anything like mine it was hard to find things to praise at first. I remember praising her and her looking at me like "good girl? That doesn't sound like me?" But over time she got it. Rewards, praise, treats, reacting and patience.
However don't be afraid to rouse or discipline. It's not the best or preferred but when you have a little lunatic.... But be patient, she'll come good.