Kitten biting tummy causing redness

hillyy13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, wondering if anyone could shed some light on the below.

I noticed my kitten biting his tummy the other day - to begin with I wasn’t concerned as he just looked like he was grooming himself, but I noticed him doing it again quite aggressively a few days later so I checked his tummy which in areas is quite red. I didn’t check to see how much hair he had there before but the area also looks thinner than the rest of his body.

As to when he is doing it - I never noticed him doing it before he was neutered, and he seems to do it most when he wants my attention or is stressed (e.g the fire alarm going off). Interestingly we have cat cameras for when we are at work and I very rarely if ever see him do it when we’re not there.

I thought it could be fleas as he has black specs in places (see picture under his “armpit”) but I used Frontline on him two days ago so I think fleas can be ruled out?

We bath him once a week or so (as he is a Persian) with Johnson’s baby shampoo, which I am thinking of changing to special cat shampoo.

TIA

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It could be stress/anxiety, food or environmental allergies, fleas, and probably a whole host of other things.

Using Frontline just two days ago will not allow you to rule out fleas. What kind of Frontline - does it contain IGR (Insect Growth Regulator) which is what helps stop flea eggs/larvae from developing? Also, if you have fleas in the house, the Frontline alone will not solve your problem, as flea eggs/larvae can drop off your cat and deposit themselves in carpeting/furniture only to 'hatch' later - mostly stimulated by heat from the cat or movement from you or the cat. Below is a link to a web site that will talk all about fleas, flea cycles, and how to get rid of them, just in case it turns out you need this information.

Most of the time the hair on cat's belly isn't quite as thick as the rest of their hair - I would guess that would apply to Persians as well. Generally, flea combing is recommended to help remove fleas and flea dirt, but again - not sure how members handle this with a Persian cat. The flea combs have very tiny teeth, but they usually work fine on either domestic short or long haired cats.

But, you might be onto something about the stress if he is not doing it at all when you are not home (unless that is because he is mostly sleeping when you are gone). So, consider evaluating changes/events that have gone on in your household recently that could attribute to his anxiety/stress level. Things that you take for granted can mean big things to cats, so don't overlook events/activities you consider to be 'nothing'.

Recent food changes could be a factor if he is allergic to something in the food. If he is older, and has had no food changes recently, sometimes cats as they age can become allergic to foods that previously never bothered them. It can happen with kittens, but probably not as likely. And, think about items in your house, like new carpeting/furniture/bedding/etc. in case it is more of an environmental type allergy. Does he go outside - also another aspect to think about. Sorry to overload you with possibilities, but at least it is a starting point for you in trying to figure out what might be going on with him.

FleaScience

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hillyy13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. It could be stress/anxiety, food or environmental allergies, fleas, and probably a whole host of other things.

Using Frontline just two days ago will not allow you to rule out fleas. What kind of Frontline - does it contain IGR (Insect Growth Regulator) which is what helps stop flea eggs/larvae from developing? Also, if you have fleas in the house, the Frontline alone will not solve your problem, as flea eggs/larvae can drop off your cat and deposit themselves in carpeting/furniture only to 'hatch' later - mostly stimulated by heat from the cat or movement from you or the cat. Below is a link to a web site that will talk all about fleas, flea cycles, and how to get rid of them, just in case it turns out you need this information.

Most of the time the hair on cat's belly isn't quite as thick as the rest of their hair - I would guess that would apply to Persians as well. Generally, flea combing is recommended to help remove fleas and flea dirt, but again - not sure how members handle this with a Persian cat. The flea combs have very tiny teeth, but they usually work fine on either domestic short or long haired cats.

But, you might be onto something about the stress if he is not doing it at all when you are not home (unless that is because he is mostly sleeping when you are gone). So, consider evaluating changes/events that have gone on in your household recently that could attribute to his anxiety/stress level. Things that you take for granted can mean big things to cats, so don't overlook events/activities you consider to be 'nothing'.

Recent food changes could be a factor if he is allergic to something in the food. If he is older, and has had no food changes recently, sometimes cats as they age can become allergic to foods that previously never bothered them. It can happen with kittens, but probably not as likely. And, think about items in your house, like new carpeting/furniture/bedding/etc. in case it is more of an environmental type allergy. Does he go outside - also another aspect to think about. Sorry to overload you with possibilities, but at least it is a starting point for you in trying to figure out what might be going on with him.

FleaScience
Hi, thank you for the detailed response!

It is Frontline Spot On but I am not sure if it has IGR in. I am actually thinking of changing it next time as he seemed lethargic the whole evening after I put it on him, which never happened with the one my vet used to provide. Although, he is an indoor cat, with no other animals in the house, so I am still thinking it’s unlikely he’d have fleas anyway? I will definitely invest in a flea comb & de-flea the house to be sure though.

I think you are right that it could be stress or food related. The tricky thing is that it’s been happening since he was neutered AND we changed his food around the same time, so it will be difficult to know which (if either) has caused it. I will try changing his food to see if that helps.. I guess it may just be a long process of elimination! Or fingers crossed it just goes away on its own :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, thank you for the detailed response!

It is Frontline Spot On but I am not sure if it has IGR in. I am actually thinking of changing it next time as he seemed lethargic the whole evening after I put it on him, which never happened with the one my vet used to provide. Although, he is an indoor cat, with no other animals in the house, so I am still thinking it’s unlikely he’d have fleas anyway? I will definitely invest in a flea comb & de-flea the house to be sure though.

I think you are right that it could be stress or food related. The tricky thing is that it’s been happening since he was neutered AND we changed his food around the same time, so it will be difficult to know which (if either) has caused it. I will try changing his food to see if that helps.. I guess it may just be a long process of elimination! Or fingers crossed it just goes away on its own :)
Just so you know, Feeby is an indoor only cat although she does spend time on our screened in patio. And, last July, she experienced her first-ever bout with fleas (she is 15+ yo). So, having an indoor only cat does not necessarily preclude fleas. We treat her, the house, the yard, and still find fleas on her - not many but a few.

With the flea comb, you get a dish of water and add a LOT of dish soap to it, and have some paper towels on hand to wipe the comb with. Comb him with long strokes beginning at the head down to the tail. Dip the flea comb in the soapy water to drown any fleas you find with each stroke, dry the comb with the towels, and continue to comb him. After doing his body, including belly, comb his legs, and then finally his very backend and tail.

I suppose it is possible, but have never heard of neutering a cat bringing on this behavior - more likely the food change. And, yes, alas a long process of elimination to get to the bottom of it. Good luck!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hillyy13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just so you know, Feeby is an indoor only cat although she does spend time on our screened in patio. And, last July, she experienced her first-ever bout with fleas (she is 15+ yo). So, having an indoor only cat does not necessarily preclude fleas. We treat her, the house, the yard, and still find fleas on her - not many but a few.

With the flea comb, you get a dish of water and add a LOT of dish soap to it, and have some paper towels on hand to wipe the comb with. Comb him with long strokes beginning at the head down to the tail. Dip the flea comb in the soapy water to drown any fleas you find with each stroke, dry the comb with the towels, and continue to comb him. After doing his body, including belly, comb his legs, and then finally his very backend and tail.

I suppose it is possible, but have never heard of neutering a cat bringing on this behavior - more likely the food change. And, yes, alas a long process of elimination to get to the bottom of it. Good luck!!!
that’s a good point!! Flea comb it is, thank you.
One last question, do you think this warrants a vet visit right away? I am a bit of an over worrier and would go at the first opportunity, but my partner thinks we should wait and see if it calms down after we’ve made some dietary changes. It’s so difficult to know!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
One last question, do you think this warrants a vet visit right away? I am a bit of an over worrier and would go at the first opportunity, but my partner thinks we should wait and see if it calms down after we’ve made some dietary changes. It’s so difficult to know!
If he is otherwise doing well (eating/drinking/using the litterbox, playing, etc.) I am not sure it warrants a vet visit right away. If anything changes in those aspects, then yes take him to the vet.

There is something else you can try to alleviate the irritation on his belly - it isn't a solution, but a stop gap for relief. Buy grocery store chamomile tea bags (most all of them are German, you don't want English, nor any additives/flavorings) and brew a bag in water. Cool the liquid, and use either cotton balls or a soft cloth soaked in it, then apply to his belly. The tea has both soothing and healing properties, and is safe should he ingest any of it. You can do this multiple times a day, if need be.