Kitten Biting Off Whiskers While Grooming Self!!

Animagus

A cat is a lion in a jungle of small bushes
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 10 week old kitten Watson, he owes his name to his crazy long white whiskers, which he's bitten off to a stubble while grooming himself. The whiskers get caught in his mouth and he bites them and breaks them to get it out of his mouth.
He's also lost a few eyebrows while cleaning an eye that's started to have a discharge (we've been using an ointment to treat it).
Is this aggressive self grooming normal?

He is a very active high energy kitty and tries to bury his leftover food and his friend's (Jupiter) vomit and even tries to clean his Jupiter's butt if he feels it's not clean enough. So, he does seem a little OCD in the cleaning department.
I would like Watson to have ALL his eyebrows and whiskers though and look like a normal kitty again! :)

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Animagus. Watson's a cutie. My guess is all the excessive rubbing and grooming might be because he's itchy. Has your vet checked for parasites? How about something in the environment? Food sensitivity? How long has the eye been a problem and could it be related?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Animagus

Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Animagus. Watson's a cutie. My guess is all the excessive rubbing and grooming might be because he's itchy. Has your vet checked for parasites? How about something in the environment? Food sensitivity? How long has the eye been a problem and could it be related?
Thank you, the vet ran a metal comb through his fur to check for fleas and there was nothing. He didn't know to groom himself properly when I first got him 2 weeks back. Is there any other way to check for parasites?
He probably got conjunctivitis and URI from Jupiter, they play all the time. Vet said I could use the same ointment for his eyes as I see the same symptoms and he's sneezed a few times.

Animagus

Young Cat
Purraise
Also, will they grow back? They've not been pulled out, they're bitten off.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! oh my goodness what a cutie!!
The only thing I can think of would be to trim his various facial hairs so that he doesn't get them caught in his mouth, and in time, hopefully he'll grow into them so to speak, so that his size better matches the length of his whiskers. The hope being that he's also better at grooming himself so he doesn't constantly catch them in his mouth ;)

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Whiskers grow back, they're really like any type of hair with a follicle. Takes about three months to grow out.

Animagus

Young Cat
Purraise
Ok thank you for your responses. I'll wait it out and hope that he stops the habit and new ones grow out eventually.
I've only read about cats biting off each other's whiskers, so it seems strange he'd do this to himself.
But hey, he's a cat after all and we lowly humans can't understand them in their entirety!! Haha

Animagus

Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! oh my goodness what a cutie!!
The only thing I can think of would be to trim his various facial hairs so that he doesn't get them caught in his mouth, and in time, hopefully he'll grow into them so to speak, so that his size better matches the length of his whiskers. The hope being that he's also better at grooming himself so he doesn't constantly catch them in his mouth ;)
Haha thank you, I miss his whiskers whether he misses them or not!! :D
The ones remaining aren't very long, so it seems he took care of it himself! Lol Now I'll wait for him and the new whiskers to grow :)