Kitten Bit Mom's Nipples

catpower321

The owner of PB & Jello
Young Cat
Purraise
So I my kitten is now 6 weeks old. She has her momma with her and nurses off her.But also now has some really sharp teeth. She bit 2 of the momma's nipples and they look bruised and I think of them bled a bit but it's dry now. I do give the kitten wet food every like 3-5 hours. Is this ok? Because the momma cat also likes to do that bunny kicking thing to the baby when she tries to nurse but she only initiates the bunny kick when she starts grooming the baby. Is this normal and I should just chill or do I do something about it

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The bunny kick is mama cat disciplining her kitten. This is how the baby learns to behave. It is normal, but you can break it up if mom gets too rough and the baby is screaming.

If mom’s nipples look infected please get her to the vet for antibiotics.

Feed the kitten as much wet food as it wants, about 6 times a day, and provide dry kitten chow 24/7 for in-between meals. Kittens are very hungry all the time because they are constantly growing. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catpower321

The owner of PB & Jello
Young Cat
Purraise
oh i seeee, yeah I break it up when she starts kicking really fast and hard cuz the baby meows a bit. The nipple doesnt look infected, just a bit swollen. I will start to feed the kittens moreee noww.
Btw when does the baby stop nursing from the momma?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When mama gets tired of nursing she will let her kitten know. It may continue for awhile though. Put some coconut oil on the swollen nipples and keep an eye on them.