Kitten Behaviours Still Shown In 2yr/o Male Cat

Baba-Bleu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

Just a question I thought I would ask.
We got Bleu as a kitten several years ago and as a tiny kitten he wouldn’t poop without myself or my partner standing/sitting beside him.
He would cry until one of us came over or would hold onto his stools until we were home.

This behaviour stopped as he got older but occasionally he still does this.

His stools aren’t any different, he’s not constipated and doesn’t do it when he’s peeing.

He also still “wool sucks” at 2 years old (the throw at the end of the bed a particular favourite) but only does this if I’m lying beside him and he’s truly content.

Is this all just kitten behaviour he didn’t outgrow? Just curious. It’s doing him no harm and he’s otherwise well and as crazy as ever. ☺

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The suckling behavior is just a 'thing' that some cats never outgrow. As long as he is not eating it, I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Now, the poop thing kind of has me befuddled. Maybe when he feels insecure about something going on at the time? Hopefully, other members can provide some insight I don't have...

Is that Bleu in your avatar? Cutie!!!

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
The suckling behavior generally occurs if a kitten is taken from their mother before they are fully weaned. My Evie has a little poofball that she picks up suckles on while kneading a blanket and purring. Everson kneads but doesn't suckle. Both of them are approaching 3 years old.
Kneading is how kittens stimulate their mom's teats to produce more milk for them. I don't think it is detrimental to their overall wellbeing. It's just super cute...lol.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Baba-Bleu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The wool sucking is adorable! He just likes to sook the blanket till it’s soaking then move onto the next bit. He’s doing no harm and he purrs so intently while doing it. He only does it with me which upsets my partner greatly. Ha!

The poop thing is really baffling. He also does it with us sometimes! He can get really upset if he can’t sit with you while you goto the toilet. Which was cute to begin with but can be a bit distracting at times.

He’s an indoor cat. Likes to be around people but not overly affectionate (only with me when it suits him)
The house we got him from was a bit chaotic and there was very grabby children who lived there. Always wonder if one of them tried to pick him up mid “business” one time and that’s where this behaviour stemmed from? Just a theory.

Thanks! Yes, that’s Bleu in my picture. Not always so cute and innocent. Just caught him hanging off my roman blind on the stairs when I should be in bed sleeping ‍♀

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The house we got him from was a bit chaotic and there was very grabby children who lived there. Always wonder if one of them tried to pick him up mid “business” one time and that’s where this behaviour stemmed from? Just a theory.
Well, that could explain why this behavior has become more of an occasional thing than it was originally - he is slowly getting over it, but still has a memory of it when he is a tad bit stressed. Does he have a covered litter box? Would that make it better or worse?

Maybe he should just have his litter box in the bathroom with you - then, he can go when you do!! JK!!

Despite his blind hanging event - he is still so cute!! "Won't you forgive me, mom, for whatever I do???"

CHIKITTIES

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my kitty, Pila, 9.5 years old, does wool suckling every night before we go sleep. Also kneading after meals. She makes this serious face and knead knead on fleece blanket several minutes, purring. If I talk to her in the middle of kneading, she meows back in distinct way (repeat very short meows). Saf, her sister from same litter, does not do any of these.

I can visualize Bleu happily suckling and you are watching and smiling :catrub: Happy little Bleu!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a blanket sucker that I adore; I'm hoping he never out grows it. He is my baby ..... he nurses in his sleep sometimes.

About his weird litter box things ..... well you are family. My kittens for drove me nuts going to the litter box at the same time!!! (At five months they still share a box occasionally!) He is probably thinking you are family and he wants you to join in. I would suggest ignoring him .... and letting him have a litter box in your bathroom that he can use as you go. Then again my baby has boxes in my bathroom & jingle balls to distract him away from me as I try to pee....... so I may not be the best one to advise you on not indulging your cat ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Baba-Bleu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all so much for the comments.

He is a strange little creature. He doesn’t appear to be stressed or anxious at the time. Maybe he just likes someone to talk to while he does his business sometimes :lol:

He’s a happy, healthy ball of trouble.

I do hope he doesn’t ever outgrow the wool sucking cause it just melts my heart to see him so content and happy. :cloud9: