Kitten Behavioral Changes After Vet Visit!

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn’t pet him when he doesn’t want this, but only when he’s sleepy, otherwise he will protest by nipping/clawing. Second kitten could actually teach him not to bite/scratch too hard. It’s most often less work with two kittens than it is with one, especially with one that was separated from his family too early like in your case

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree...he's so young, he never got a chance to really learn to "cat." Another kitten would be ideal, but do be aware that they WILL scrap! They're supposed to do that. If that isn't possible, I like a quick, sharp hiss. It is Universal Cattish for "STOP THAT RIGH NOW!" They all understand it and respond to it. And you'll get street cred for speaking his language! LOL, sometimes when I'm typing that out, I'll actually give a little hiss, and Hekitty always looks over at me any says, "WHAT??? I WAS JUST LYING HERE!"

jane559

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try hissing, and a high pitched OW, repeatedly every time he does it, and try giving him a soft toy every time. It'll take a little while but he'll catch on :)
Is it bad to say no rather than hiss to a kitten when it bites or nibbles? My kitten seems to be able to understand a firm "no" from her previous foster or owner. So when she bites I would say no; then she would stop at least for a few seconds. She is a sweet kitten but she takes every movement of mine as playing and hence would hunt my hands and feet all the time:)

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it bad to say no rather than hiss to a kitten when it bites or nibbles? My kitten seems to be able to understand a firm "no" from her previous foster or owner. So when she bites I would say no; then she would stop at least for a few seconds. She is a sweet kitten but she takes every movement of mine as playing and hence would hunt my hands and feet all the time:)
I personally assume that a human hiss sounds very little like a cat hiss to ultra-sensitive cat ears, and believe any consistent sound to signal disapproval works just find, preferably if it is loud enough to be slightly startling. So I use a loud "no!" But clapping loudly or a loud hiss should work just fine as well.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you actually tried a hiss? I'm able to get the neighbor's dog to stop barking with a nice loud sibilant hiss :)
Did you try quacking like a very angry duck? Or making the "beep beep beep" of a large truck backing up. Those might have also worked. Well, except for the difficulty factor.

Just saying, don't think the dog though "oh my gosh, that big cat is really ticked."
We may just have to agree to disagree on this one :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
. If that isn't possible, I like a quick, sharp hiss. It is Universal Cattish for "STOP THAT RIGHT NOW!" They all understand it and respond to it. And you'll get street cred for speaking his language!
she would stop at least for a few seconds.
Whichever sounds or methods you decide to utilize, you will want to be consistent, even a high pitched OW can help train your baby that hands, ankles and feet are not toys :)

Let us know how things go :thumbsup: