Kitten behavior toward mama and other cats aggressive

Carrisue78

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took in a pregnant cat, she had kittens. The kittens are about 4 months old. I took mama cat and one kitten in to get fixed. The other two are scheduled in a couple weeks. Now one of her kittens is very angry and is attacking her. This is one of the kittens that is not fixed yet. She is attacking all of the other cats since her mama and brother came back from the vet I am not sure what to do. She is fine with the dogs, it's just all the cats. She was fine in the morning before they went to vet, they came home in the evening and it started and hasn't stopped. This has been going on for 24hrs.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I gather vets use different drugs, but the ones my vet uses last essentially the whole first day and really alter behavior very dramatically. Beyond that time frame, what you are observing is a normal thing when a pet comes back from the vet smelling a little different. Cats are very smell based, so they are like STRANGER, STRANGER! Even with their BFF pet, or, in this case, momma. There is even a name for it, Non Recognition Aggression. Rubbing momma and the kitten that went to vet with their favorite blanket/towel should fix the problem. Sometimes a short separation is needed as well.

I'm sure what ever your vet recommended is fine, but at least where I'm at, its usually recommended to separate the kittens so they don't play and open up the wound. Especially for female cats, the surgery is not trivial and reopening the wound can be a problem. Not sure if that necessarily applies to momma, who is less likely to play crazy vigorously. And certainly if they actually keep the cone on, that does tend to discourage vigorous play (hopefully).

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not much I can add to that. And she might well react in an aggressive manner to the ones who did not go to the vet in a fit of re-directed aggression. Try A ArtNJ 's recommendations, and give this some time. You may go through it again with further neuterings. Sounds as if this particular kitten is just very sensitive to change.