Kitten Be Trained To Sleep Alone At Night In Different Room

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are cats independent creatures?
I have a 2.5mth kitten.
As per breeder he's a Birman x British Long Hair.
We actually have a balcony room for him.
Below is the set up but the kitten is differentrhere is litter machine, water bowl and bowl of pellets.
We let him around the living room in the day.
At night we put him in the balcony room and close the grill door.
First 2 day has was ok. Yesterday he had to sleep in a pen in our room due onto another cat issue.
Today we put home back to his balcony room at night and he started meowing trying to come out.
Can kittens be successfully trained to sleep alone in separate room?
We are living in apartment and cannot have him roaming around at night.
We actually came up with the room do that he be trained to be on his own when we have to leave for long hours in the day.
Pls advice and thanks

Attachments

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can teach him if you ignore him long enough. But in my opinion, I would compare it to leaving a toddler alone in the room. Your kitten should stay with his sibling at his age (the breeder you bought him from does not seem to be reputable) and he probably is super lonely being left alone. So no wonder he keeps crying.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Two things could be in play here:
1.) whatever the 'another cat issue' was, and if it had a negative impact on your kitten, and
2.) your kitten liked being the room with you, and would prefer that over being away from you at night.

See if you can determine if the 'cat issue' could have made him afraid or scared where he just doesn't feel as comfortable being confined to a room away from you at night. 2.5 months old is very, very young - you might to reconsider making him be by himself at night until he gets a bit older.

5starcathotel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A few thoughts:

- Cats can be completely fine being left alone for "long hours" during the day, they will mostly sleep. This should be bounded by 10-15 min of vigorous playtime each morning (before breakfast), and each evening (before dinner). Outside of these times, they will sleep. It can also help to provide some easy access to windows where your furbaby can watch the world.

- Cats are actually very social animals, and I *know* he would be happiest to be able to spend nights sleeping in the same room as you. If it can't be on your bed, that's ok - put a cat tree next to it. But again, so you don't lose sleep (well, at least not too much, lol), structure and playtime are important.

Hope this helps....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We tried getting him another kitten from a friend to try. She was a 6mth Maine coon who was very tolerant. However,, the little boy started stalking and attacking her until she was frustrated. Also he hid all the toys. He also started scratching us if fo near the female kitten. So we had to return the female kitten. Now his aggression has increased after the female left and keep scratching us. He also behaving weird by chasing and jumping on thing that's not there. Playing?

5starcathotel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All of this is screaming that your boy is bored, and needs playtime. Kittens can generally adapt to each other pretty quickly, but it seems like the 6mo female was only around for a day or so?

My opinion hasn't changed....your kitty needs some vigorous, scheduled playtime, with an interactive toy like DaBird. He needs to run, jump, chase, stalk, hunt, catch, and kill.

When the 6mo 'kitten' was around, this was the best "toy" ever! Given more time together, the older cat likely would have taught him 'manners', but the older cat would certainly appreciate an intervention of playtime from the primates in the house!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We now play with home doe 10 to 15 kings using teaser to get home burn out his energy followed by his meal. Giving him ANF kitten food. We so the same in the evening. He usually sleeps a lot in the day. We have stopped putting him in his room. Only the robot litter is there which he will use. However he goes about in night jumping on bed and stuff. He does not prefer to sleep in bed as he sleeps where he likes. So when actually we can train jlhim to sleep in his own room? The room has litter machine, balls, tunnels and small scratching house.

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would say to give him more "toys". These don't have to be store bought. my cat can chase my hair tie around for hours. You can maybe try those spring toys, that move unpredictably. I have pine pellet for cat littler and my cat chases those around too if he finds a stray pellet outside the little box. anything that is light and that can be batted around easily make greeeeat cat toys!

I have also found the scratching post to be very important, whenever my cat's got built up energy he goes to his scratch post and releases some of that there. same for the scratch board, but mine prefers the post.

To be honest, the easiest way I have found to wear him down? I chase him! of course you should stop if you find that your cat gets scared and hides from you, but there is a high chance he will enjoy it! cats like to chase each other when playing and sometimes if you run away they'll chase you back :)