Kitten Ate Plumbers Putty

Farleyk32

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
so here’s something interesting- about 4-5 days ago I noticed something white and sticky in my 5 month old kittens fur. It reminded me of gum. I searched the house up and down and found nothing. So tonight I was in the basement and happened to look under the utility sink and there was HALF a ring of plumbers putty. Which tells me- did he eat the other half? Because I can’t find the other half. It must have been under the utility sink and he clearly got to it. So, has anyone had this happen and I don’t think its toxic but I have no idea. He’s acting okay. Hes been mildly tired the last day but he just had his distemper shot. Running, playing, eating, drinking Okay.
Litter box- hes been peeing okay, hes had diarrhea for a few weeks from an antibiotic, vet just put him on a probiotic so thats not going to tell me if hes having that from putty because hes already been having poop issues. Ugh I’m not sure what to make of this. Anyone?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know about anything toxic in it, I think if there was something toxic you would know it by now. My concern would be an intestinal blockage. With a blockage nothing is going through, a cat will start vomiting everything because it can't get through. Once everything past the blockage comes out then there will be no pooping either because nothing is going through. Since it's been several days now, if your kitten is still eating and pooping then I think he is okay. It would be a good idea to call the vet's office and ask though.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I second what Denice said: with the kitten eating putty (which is used to make a watertight seal,) you would be more likely to see an intestinal blockage. However, I'd keep a close eye on the situation if I were you, because a blockage can get serious very fast. I'd also spend some time trying to locate the rest of the putty in case your cat didn't eat it - it might save you some worry later on. Check with all other house members, track down when it was last seen whole, try to locate the missing part, etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Farleyk32

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, he just pooped a nice pile today so we’ll just have to keep a good eye on him. I went downstairs and tried to find the rest of it this morning but couldn’t find it- i threw the half i did find on the floor to see what Edgar would do with it, if he looked like he would start to eat it. He just ran around playing hockey with it and jumping around it like it was a toy. My thoughts are, if it were so delicious that he maybe ate half, I feel he’d want to eat more. ? He seemed to have no interest.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Is it possible you have a mouse/rat in the basement that ate the putty?? Look for poop droppings around the area. If that is the case, you might want to hope the putty the rodent ate gave it a water-tight seal!!!!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i threw the half i did find on the floor to see what Edgar would do with it, if he looked like he would start to eat it. He just ran around playing hockey with it and jumping around it like it was a toy.
In that case, look for the rest under furniture - wherever he normally loses his toys.

Margret

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, like you said, just keep an eye on him. And, I guess you'll have to think of the missing putty being like those socks that disappear somewhere during washing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Farleyk32

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, like you said, just keep an eye on him. And, I guess you'll have to think of the missing putty being like those socks that disappear somewhere during washing.
Lol yes!!! So frustrating. I just went downstairs again for the 3rd time today with a flashlight looking in nooks and crannies again. Maybe there was only that part to begin with. Who knows. I’m driving myself crazy though. And Edgar is excitedly following me around wondering what we’re doing. Haha