Kitten Ate A Bit Of Silica Cat Litter

Ashouldnt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just bought some crystal cat litter to try. One of my kittens has taken to it like a duck to water but the other is very skeptical and I just caught him trying to eat a piece off the floor. They're nearly thirteen weeks old and I've never had this problem before and we've had clumping, non clumping, clay and wood litter. I was just wondering if there was any way to stop him? And how dangerous it is for him to eat?

I can't seem to find anything about cats eating it anywhere.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had this same issue when I tried it years ago when my cats were little. We thought we'd give it a go because of the no dust and tracking. One cat absolutely refused to go in until he was desperate, and sort of clambered up the walls of the box trying not to touch the litter. The other cat tried to eat the litter and we had to peel it of his tongue. :crazy: He was fine, I don't think he actually ingested any.
Personally, I'd go with another type of litter at this point as you don't want the one kitten to get sick from eating it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ashouldnt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had this same issue when I tried it years ago when my cats were little. We thought we'd give it a go because of the no dust and tracking. One cat absolutely refused to go in until he was desperate, and sort of clambered up the walls of the box trying not to touch the litter. The other cat tried to eat the litter and we had to peel it of his tongue. :crazy: He was fine, I don't think he actually ingested any.
Personally, I'd go with another type of litter at this point as you don't want the one kitten to get sick from eating it!
I'm starting to think the other kitten was a little confused? It is very different from other litters we've been using and he just had a wee about an hour back and I put some litter freshener on top (that I was using with their other litters) and I think he's realised that it's litter not food.

I think I'm gonna put a litter tray of wood pellets down tonight though, don't want to risk him eating it whilst I'm asleep

Ashouldnt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm starting to think the other kitten was a little confused? It is very different from other litters we've been using and he just had a wee about an hour back and I put some litter freshener on top (that I was using with their other litters) and I think he's realised that it's litter not food.

I think I'm gonna put a litter tray of wood pellets down tonight though, don't want to risk him eating it whilst I'm asleep
T does smell very nice too, I just stirred it up and kind of didn't want to move away The other litters I have tried have all had the most disgusting smell

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried using silica litter (little round pellets) with my last cat, and she thought it was a toy and simply played with it. What a mess.

I personally wouldn't try using a silica litter with kittens as they are so young, always chewing on and eating so many things while teething, and also -- the play factor! They might bat it all over the place, chase it, eat it, while they rollplay as a hunter-with-its-prey. All that could put them at risk of eating too much silica pellets, which is NOT good, since it absorbs moisture. I think a little bit won't be too bad, but you really don't want a huge amount of silica inside of a cat or kitten! That is very bad news indeed.

Last edited:

Ashouldnt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tried using silica litter (little round pellets) with my last cat, and she thought it was a toy and simply played with it. What a mess.

I personally wouldn't try using a silica litter with kittens as they are so young, always chewing on and eating so many things while teething, and also -- the play factor! They might bat it all over the place, chase it, eat it, while they rollplay as a hunter-with-its-prey. All that could put them at risk of eating too much silica pellets, which is NOT good, since it absorbs moisture. I think a little bit won't be too bad, but you really don't want a huge amount of silica inside of a cat or kitten! That is very bad news indeed.
I haven't seen them play with this yet but they seem to love playing with wood pellets. I think it's because the wood pellets are a lot bigger and it actually got to the point where they were kicking it out just to play with! Like I hadn't spent all that money on plenty of toys for them This litter will have to do for a couple day and then I'll get some non clumping litter from my local supermarket.

Ashouldnt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
none of my girls liked it-the rocks are sharp on their paws-stick with non clumping with kittens until old enough to go with clumping but some cats just prefer old fashioned clay non clumping.
We've been using clumping for the past two weeks and they've been fine. They seem very cautious of what they eat and actually haven't tried eating since the first. Don't think it tasted very good

Ashouldnt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
make sure the litter is NON SCENTED. that's why it gets smelly-the perfumes make it smell horrible-scoop it three times a day with kittens-the poo is what makes it stink.
They haven't pooped yet but I always scoop poop as soon as I see it