Kitten And Wheelchair

wingwalker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would like to get in touch with people who have a cat that needs a wheelchair to get around. My two foster kittens were born with swimmer's syndrome, and one of them has nerve damage and according to three different vets will never walk with his hind legs. After building two different contraptions that were not successful I ordered the smallest cat wheelchair on the market. Now the problem is to get the kitten used to it. Right now he fights it with all might, and once I had him strapped in, he ended up on his belly, although his front legs are very strong. Do cats have to learn to walk in a wheelchair? Maybe training wheels would be helpful?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know cats can be trained to use a wheelchair. Here is one pet wheelchair web site with pictures of cats: Cats

The FAQs here may be helpful:

FAQs About Cats and Dogs in Wheelchairs and Carts

It looks like there is a bit of a learning curve for a cat to learn how to use a wheelchair but once they figure it out, they're as mobile as a four legged cat. Does your wheelchair just have two wheels to take the place of the back legs? I don't think training wheels are necessary.