Kitten and Tresaderm, is this normal?

Mmatos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a new little kitten right now he is about 10 weeks old. To give a little backstory, a woman bought him from a breeder when he was only six weeks old. I think that is way too young to sell a kitten, but the breeder sold him that young.The woman who bought my kitten from a breeder claims it was an impulse buy. She already had two other adult male cats who were not neutered. She immediately posted the kitten online for sale. She explained to me that she was feeding him dry food. I honestly didn’t even see a food dish out for him. When I got him he was 8 weeks old, he was not healthy at all and extremely malnourished. He was very constipated.
This is a photo of him when we got him, on the drive home.
F7E2E980-9AC4-4324-A11F-B59DC3F9E033.jpeg

His stools were very black and tar like which was a major concern to me. I started feeding him wellness natural grain free kitten wet food 4 times a day ( total of 6 ounces ) and leave a very small amount natural balance grain free of dry food in his bowl. He started looking a lot better.
953B2268-BA96-4824-A042-A281E0AB0BDC.jpeg

I took him to his first vet appointment last week. It was Thursday, February 27th. The vet gave him his first distemper shot. I told the vet about his stools being black and she said nothing about it.
I told Vet that he’s been itching his ears a lot.She checked his ears and said he had a double ear infection, and prescribed Tresaderm. 2 drops a day for 14 days. She didn’t take a swab of his ear.

When we arrived home a kitten acted fine. The next day the vet called and told me his stools sample was negative so no worms.

The next day, which was Friday, he acted very sick. He’s normally a very affectionate kitten but he would go off by himself and just sleep all day. Normally when he wants to sleep he jumps up on my lap or my husband’s lot but he would just go off by himself. I started giving him some KMR on Friday. I was concerned about him getting dehydrated because he had a slight fever.
I figured it was just the vaccine.

Well Saturday morning he acted normal, very playful. However, an hour after giving him his ear drops he would get lethargic and seem sick again.
I called the vet and explained that my kitten seemed sick and asked if it could be the ear drops. The vet said she never heard of a side effect like that from the ear drops and it’s prob just the vaccine and he should be back to normal by Monday.

Well Sunday and Monday was exactly the same. He would be normal but after ear drops he would feel sick. His stools are finally normal and frequent but I’m concerned. I feel like I’m torturing him with these drops. Today is now Tuesday and again, I can tell he feels horrible.
C0D44F54-3EDD-46D8-BDF9-4DBEF362FCD7.jpeg

Since he has been on the drops his one eye is now squinty at times, and his ears are still itchy.
He’s been on Tresaderm almost a week and it seems like he feels worst then he did before he was on the ear drops.
Is this normal? Is this just his body fighting the infection ? I’m super concerned.

Attachments

MT Coral

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry you and your sweet baby are going through this. Maybe he's allergic to the drops? Possibly ask vet for another treatment for the infection. I wish you both luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mmatos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry you and your sweet baby are going through this. Maybe he's allergic to the drops? Possibly ask vet for another treatment for the infection. I wish you both luck.
Thank you , I’m so worried about him. Would this be an allergic reaction ? The feeling sick ? I looked online and found no information on side affects. I understand it’s an infection but I always thought medicine was suppose to make him feel better. :(

MT Coral

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I understand your worry. I have no medical knowledge on what it may be, j I was just throwing that out. I really hope this gets resolved soon. Sending best wishes and healing vibes.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I told Vet that he’s been itching his ears a lot.She checked his ears and said he had a double ear infection, and prescribed Tresaderm. 2 drops a day for 14 days. She didn’t take a swab of his ear.
This is just weird to me. So many different things, or combinations can be going on in the ears. There is no way she could just look inside and guess like that. I would get a second opinion or take the pet back and insist on swabbing the ears and doing a cytology.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My vet says that it is possible for absolutely every drug out there to cause a reaction in someone, animal or human, including OTC products. However, that does not help you resolve this and I agree with jen jen that those ears needed a swab and cytology, especially given the miserable condition he was in when you got him.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would definitely get a different medication for your kitty. If possible, try a different vet as this one doesn't seem to be listening to your concerns.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a new little kitten right now he is about 10 weeks old. To give a little backstory, a woman bought him from a breeder when he was only six weeks old. I think that is way too young to sell a kitten, but the breeder sold him that young.The woman who bought my kitten from a breeder claims it was an impulse buy. She already had two other adult male cats who were not neutered. She immediately posted the kitten online for sale. She explained to me that she was feeding him dry food. I honestly didn’t even see a food dish out for him. When I got him he was 8 weeks old, he was not healthy at all and extremely malnourished. He was very constipated.

If the woman decided the kitten was a bad impulse buy, why didn't she contact the breeder and return the kitten instead of selling it? :headscratch: Many reputable breeders will take back a kitten and the purchase papers have a thing about not selling the cat to another person. Can you get the breeder's contact info from the woman, assuming the whole story about the breeder is true? Not sure if there's much you can do if it's a backyard breeder who is selling kittens as young as 6 weeks old just to make money.

I'd take the kitten to another vet for a second opinion.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please stop the drops immediately as they do appear to be giving him a bad reaction. Then, I would see a new vet who specializes in cats if at all possible. At least change vets. He is precious! Good his stool has improved. Is he still drinking the KMR? It is excellent for him until he is 12-16 weeks old.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the woman decided the kitten was a bad impulse buy, why didn't she contact the breeder and return the kitten instead of selling it? :headscratch: Many reputable breeders will take back a kitten and the purchase papers have a thing about not selling the cat to another person. Can you get the breeder's contact info from the woman, assuming the whole story about the breeder is true? Not sure if there's much you can do if it's a backyard breeder who is selling kittens as young as 6 weeks old just to make money.

No reputable breeder would ever sell a 6-week old kitten, period. This "breeder" is a horrible backyard breeder who only cares about money. People need to stay far far away from "breeders" like that. I really wish people would stop with impulse buys when it comes to animals and if you want a purebred, be prepared to pay big money.

Hopefully your baby feels better. I would recommend seeing another vet for a second opinion as well.

Mmatos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is just weird to me. So many different things, or combinations can be going on in the ears. There is no way she could just look inside and guess like that. I would get a second opinion or take the pet back and insist on swabbing the ears and doing a cytology.
No reputable breeder would ever sell a 6-week old kitten, period. This "breeder" is a horrible backyard breeder who only cares about money. People need to stay far far away from "breeders" like that. I really wish people would stop with impulse buys when it comes to animals and if you want a purebred, be prepared to pay big money.

Hopefully your baby feels better. I would recommend seeing another vet for a second opinion as well.
Thank you!
I agree, I felt so bad for this kitten when I met him. There was 1 litter box for all 3 cats ( 2 adults and my fur baby ) and one food dish. This woman and her husband worked all day and had two male spinx cats that were not neutered who must of bullied my little fur baby because while living there he hid constantly.

Mmatos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My vet says that it is possible for absolutely every drug out there to cause a reaction in someone, animal or human, including OTC products. However, that does not help you resolve this and I agree with jen jen that those ears needed a swab and cytology, especially given the miserable condition he was in when you got him.
Thank you so much, you are are helping verify my gut feeling!

Mmatos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please stop the drops immediately as they do appear to be giving him a bad reaction. Then, I would see a new vet who specializes in cats if at all possible. At least change vets. He is precious! Good his stool has improved. Is he still drinking the KMR? It is excellent for him until he is 12-16 weeks old.
Thank you! Yes he is , he LOVES IT! I’m feeding him very well, his fur his shiny, his eyes are bright. It’s this stupid medication, I am going to get another vet opinion :)

Mmatos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I actually contacted the breeder and the breeder was very pissed that she sold him to me, but she was happy he was in good hands. Apparently this breeder sells at 6 weeks which is CRUEL. I would never personally buy from a breeder who takes away a kittens precious time with their mother. In this case, I feel like I saved him from death. The woman taking care of him didn’t care about him at all.

Mmatos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I agree. She told me who the breeder was that she bought him from. She definitely paid buy money and wanted the big money back from her impulse buy. He was in such bad shape when I met him that I didn’t care how much $ she wanted for him, I just wanted to get him out of that house. When I pet him I could feel every one of his bones, his fur was thin. It was awful. He was just laying on the bed lifeless.
Now he’s a little purr baby enjoy his cat tree and pouncing around the house :D