Kitten and Cat playing or???

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all, my kitties haven't been getting along it's been about 5 months now. I do have a video!!!
Please let me know what y'all think and some advice!!

Playing or fighting

Parktaejoon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have heard cats fighting, and this doesn't seem like it! Your cat is very vocal, this isn't an issue. Sometimes when my cats play, the sister is very vocal and does a lot of squeaking/meowing during fighting with her brother. When you get hissing and yowling, you'll know it...

The cat is who meowing in your video also seems to keep coming back and re-initiating play. I might be wrong but I think they're just being cats and having fun!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think so. Some times what he does is he pins her down, she gets way and he doe it again and she squeals which is what makes me nervous

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats definitely playing. Its very common for a smaller cat to make some protest noises or run/hide due to a little bit of discomfort, but as long as they act like nothing happened a few minutes later, and don't seem afraid of the bigger cat, all is well. Let the smaller cat be your guide.

The weird thing here is that I'm not even necessarily seeing positions that would lead to discomfort. I think your smaller cat is just very vocal as Parktaejoon Parktaejoon noted. Some cats even hiss at toys when playing with them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A ArtNJ so he was on top of her this morning and she hissed at him.

She has been doing this more than lately.

Any suggestions?

I mean he is 15 lbs so maybe he was hurting her idk

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat walked over my crotch twice while I was talking to my wife in bed this morning, I said something like "aaarghhh!" and rolled over. Same thing -- big cat is making small cat uncomfortable, so he is making protest noises and maybe running away, but he isn't actually hurt.

If your smaller cat doesn't act afraid when play is over, and especially if it acts friendly to the bigger cat or initiates play sometimes, that tells you its all good. Cats aren't generally very forgiving if they are actually being hurt. They act afraid or angry for hours/days thereafter.

Last edited:

Parktaejoon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So long as there isn't animosity actively between the cats, it seems like the little one is establishing a boundary... And good for her! If they are being truly aggressive to one another, the sounds of a catfight will really be something else to behold. I think they're doing just fine.

Sometimes cats are just like this for a while. I'm technically still in the cat-to-cat introduction process between my two cats and my roommate of half a year's cat who was already living here when they moved in. We did everything according to the book, made sure they had a couple weeks behind doors just to smell one another. Well, the older one still spent a good 3-4 months hissing at my babies when they came a little too close for comfort. She'd get used to them seemingly for a week or two, then change her mind about her comfort zone. It happens, it's cats establishing a boundary with one another peacefully, and the dynamic might be good, then a little tentative, then good again... They have minds of their owns and good days/bad days! your cats seem to be on generally peaceful terms and working it out properly on their own. If things get a little too fussy, I would personally keep toys in the area to redirect any sign of escalating aggression. I did that a few times during early introduction so the older cat and mine wouldn't even have a chance to settle into a habit of aggression towards each other.