Kitten and cat introduction (video)

Jkat.z

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
here is a quick video clip of Roxie (kitten) and Maisy (5 yr old cat) getting used to each other. I'm closely supervising. Roxie has been vaccinated and they aren't actually getting into the same space yet. Maisy sits outside of the kitten's room and watches. The air is full of feliway. There is no hissing or growling or tail flicking. Just mutual watching and then they fall asleep. I'm hoping this means a good introduction? I'm watching like a hawk whilst the door is open. It is mostly shut in the day.

What do you think? Positive or not?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks fine, video is what you said, but we can give better advice if you tell us how long the kitten has been in the house and old it is?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jkat.z

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. Our Kitten is 9 weeks old and has been with us for 1 week. Both cats are female. Our kitten is eating, drinking and using the cat litter well.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. Our Kitten is 9 weeks old and has been with us for 1 week. Both cats are female. Our kitten is eating, drinking and using the cat litter well.
I'd say your ready to open the door when you are around and see how they do. Keep in mind that the older cat may hiss when the kitten gets close, or even reach out for a "get away" swat. That is all fine. As long as the older cat's stress level is under control, you can let them work it out. A week is long enough when the older cat appears curious. Heck, I recently did only two days in similar circumstances. I wouldn't recommend that to those less experienced, but after a week and with your older cat seeming more curious than stressed you are more than good to go. Just continue to supervise for at least the first few hours, or longer if there are any signs of issues.