Kitten aggressive with food starting to run away with food in her mouth and eat in another room!

Beansmumoona

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 9week kitten will growl at me if im next to her whilst shes eating. Just as i fed her now, i gave her her wet food and went to take her water bowl to refil it she ran away with food in her mouth to eat it in another room.. is this normal? How do i get her to be comfortable eating in peace knowing no ones going to take her food?
She was fostered with her littermates and adopted at 5wks because the Forster weaned them early. We dont have any other free roaming pets (i have two other reptiles that are secure in their tanks).

Also i feed her kibble and wet food.

side question: i accidentally bought 1year+ kitten food instead of 2months + kitten food, can I feed it to her or would it be best to feed it to her when shes 9months (few months before the expiration date) ?

Thanks guys!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are you leaving out food all the time for the kitten to eat when she wants? If not, that might be the reason for her running off with the food as she is afraid that it might be taken away from her. She is still very young, so allowing her to eat as needed is the best option at this stage. And, because of her age, I would go ahead and buy the kitten food - then, you can mix a little bit of the 1year+ with the kitten food just so it gets used up faster. You can always compare the two just to see how much a difference there really is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Beansmumoona

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you leaving out food all the time for the kitten to eat when she wants? If not, that might be the reason for her running off with the food as she is afraid that it might be taken away from her. She is still very young, so allowing her to eat as needed is the best option at this stage. And, because of her age, I would go ahead and buy the kitten food - then, you can mix a little bit of the 1year+ with the kitten food just so it gets used up faster. You can always compare the two just to see how much a difference there really is.
Thanks for your reply! Yes i leave out some kibble for her even during the night.
She'll also jump into the bowl as im lowering it down for her on her mat, like I've never fed her ever haha! Is there something I could do to help her feel more comfortable with food?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It does sounds like she is hungry! How many meals do you feed her a day? At her age, even the wet food should be left out for as long as possible. Maybe keep the water dish a bit away from her food dish so that she can eat while you change the water without her thinking you are taking her food - or change her water well before you feed her. Then, put her food down and walk away so you are not standing over her.

I presume she has been checked/treated for worms/parasites? Some parasites can cause ravenous behavior. But, I really think this probably has to do with the early weaning, and perhaps other factors involving the fostering - and she may feel food insecure at this point.

Is she drinking/peeing/pooping OK?

Beansmumoona

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It does sounds like she is hungry! How many meals do you feed her a day? At her age, even the wet food should be left out for as long as possible. Maybe keep the water dish a bit away from her food dish so that she can eat while you change the water without her thinking you are taking her food - or change her water well before you feed her. Then, put her food down and walk away so you are not standing over her.

I presume she has been checked/treated for worms/parasites? Some parasites can cause ravenous behavior. But, I really think this probably has to do with the early weaning, and perhaps other factors involving the fostering - and she may feel food insecure at this point.

Is she drinking/peeing/pooping OK?
Im giving her her doses of dewormers as the vet recommended. And i try to give small portions throughout the day. She had thrown up during her first week at us so im a little hesitant to feed large portions. Ok ill leave her alone when she's eating thanks! Yep shes peeing and pooping normally using the litterbox jusr fine with only a few accidents since i got her (vet had checked her pee and no sign of infection)

Beansmumoona

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You can't overfeed a growing kitten. To build her trust with you and food try hand feeding her treats through out the day.
Last time i gave her a kitten treat she attacked me cos she wanted more.. maybe I didnt give jt to her right tho how much treats can you give a kitten her age per day?

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Because she was so young when the foster sent her home she hasn't learned how to be gentle from her Mom and siblings. If you're able to take another kitten it will help both of you in the long run.

We use a different dry food as a treat and a kitten can have as much as they like. As the dewormer does it job she should become less ravenous. Every kitten I've had has gobbled their wet food and tried to eat everyone elses. After a play session try bring her on your lap with the dish for the other dry if it's only the wet she's protective of. When my cats were that young I mixed some dry in their wet. They could probably eat the kibble just fine but I worried.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She had thrown up during her first week at us so im a little hesitant to feed large portions.
That could have been in part due to the food change. So, if you don't want to feed her more at one meal, feed her more meals. Given her age and apparent immaturity when dealing with food, she could use 6 meals a day, as well as her dry food.