Kitten 12 Weeks Biting, Super Hyper, Rough Play Etc...

Monetcat33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
as you guys already may have seen the classic tabby cat of 12 weeks, he is looking like a orange marble classic tabby.

However, he is always biting, when I try to pat him he just goes for the hand. he is always biting the toys and rubber strings that i made for him. he also bites on rug tags, shoe strings, slippers etc. gets super hyper when Im home and would run through the house then do the crab sidewalk. I tried to hiss and make the motion of pushing my hand in towards him with pressure when he bites, but he just does more and thinks im just playing with him. will this eve get better when he grows??

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Of course it will get better. Just keep hissing and stopping play when he gets too rough. He's still a baby, so you need to teach him proper kitty etiquette.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He young and doesn't realise that he is doing wrong plus he may be teething and that could explain the chewing.
As war&wisdom said, when he bites stop playing and walk away. He will learn with your help.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I see in another of your threads that he was 9 weeks old when you adopted him. That's a little young. These days the recommendation is to keep kittens with their mom and siblings until at least 12 weeks so they have time to learn kitty etiquette.

Of course, that's not always possible. But when kittens are adopted young, it then becomes their human's job to teach them cat manners.

Here's an article from the Humane Society that explains Teach your kitten how to play nice

cuppa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kittens have a ton of energy. He'll settle down eventually as he ages, but it's a good idea to start enforcing good habits. Hissing at him and high pitched yelps when he bites will let him know that he is hurting you (even if it doesn't really hurt). This can help discourage him from biting you. You can also try redirecting his attention to toys when he's feeling bitey. Kickaroos and kitty chew toys might be a good investment.
How To Stop Problem Chewing In Cats

He is pretty young too. It's possible he's teething and his biting is him trying to sooth his sore gums. You can try taking a damp cloth and putting it into the freezer for a bit (don't let it completely freeze though). Give it to him when he's chewing. The cold might help sooth sore gums.
Kitten Teething: 5 Tips to Stop Kitten Biting
Kitten Teething: When Do They Start And Stop, And How To Help Them

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
he is still such a baby (until at least 12 weeks he should have been with his mom and siblings) and he simply doesn't know how to be delicate, as explained by members above; also, if he stays home alone without any other animal's company (human's included) he must be extremely lonely and bored, and no wonder he goes crazy when you are home. If I were you, I would consider getting another kitten or young cat to keep him company and teach some manners in a most natural way. That way you wouldn't have to do it :)

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmm in kittens 2 months old & maybe 3 months old I do the loud ooooooowwwwwww and when they bite my fingers for gently shoving more of my finger into their mouth until they start go gag the tiniest bit. (Of course if you ever plan on brushing your cat's teeth I would not do this.) A few kickaroo never hurt either.
An ow and ignore will stop kitten attacks. Also keeping a policy of toys not hands from day one. Some cats require toys to be thrown or on a wand.
Also some (large) straws, maybe kitten chew toys & cat chew sticks will give her things to chew on. (Those wooden disposable chopsticks or a wooden spoon might work in a pinch.) Plus some toys you can refrigerate. Some people recommend wetting a washcloth and freezing it.