Kitkat's Breed

lune0829

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello guys, I've been wondering what my Cat's breed is. She is Kitkat, a very playful and agile kitten. We adopted her when she was only 10/15 days old. She is colored white, grey and a bit of brownish orange. Her paws are pinkish of color. She likes to play a lot and follow us wherever we go. She is a bit furry from my previous cats. And do you have some tips to stop her from biting? I've had cats before but she is the only one that bites. Maybe because I've moved from another country and cats are a bit different from place to place I guess.

Attachments

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello guys, I've been wondering what my Cat's breed is. She is Kitkat, a very playful and agile kitten. We adopted her when she was only 10/15 days old. She is colored white, grey and a bit of brownish orange. Her paws are pinkish of color. She likes to play a lot and follow us wherever we go. She is a bit furry from my previous cats. And do you have some tips to stop her from biting? I've had cats before but she is the only one that bites. Maybe because I've moved from another country and cats are a bit different from place to place I guess.
She looks like a purebred North American Cuddle Bug to me.
(Yea I know. I'm no help.) I have no idea on what breed she is, or if a mix or a mix of what but she's 100% adorable. Could be a muttley cat, like our cats are. We love purebred cats (I'm dying for a Bengal some day) but for now our mutt cats are great =)
Do you have other cats in your home? They are usually the best teachers on teaching a baby kitten what level of play biting is acceptable. Babies bite, and don't realize how hard they bite or how sharp their teeth are. We had a bottle baby cat that was a terrible biter and this subsided when he was introduced to a kitten about 5-6 months his senior, once he was old enough (3-4 months, only with supervision and intervention if necessary.)
Aside, we had a puppy mill rescue that was a horrible play biter (drew blood without aggression, they just had no idea!), and an adult "nanny" dog taught them that biting hard in play wasn't nice with a lot of noise, drama, but no harm done. The half-grown kitten we opted to put this baby kitten with did the same thing--if you're going to maul me just to say "hi, let's play" I'm going to leave you alone and you can play by yourself. No one wants to play with someone who bites too hard."
If the baby bites you hard, some people have had luck with letting out a loud "MEEP!" squeak like a kitten would (and stopping play for a few moments), and others have found that vocalization to encourage the "tough guys" to keep biting, and what works then is just getting up and leaving them alone. I think both are right depending on the kitten, and that kittens personality.
Personally, I'd try the "MEEP!" thing first, and if that doesn't work (or riles him up) just stopping play can send a huge signal--kitten plays too rough, kitten has no playmates.
Best of luck. Hopefully others with more experience add to this.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also...
I don't know what the background is when adopting this kitten at 10-15 days old is, but this IMO explains the biting as no litter mates or Mama has told them (in cat speak) that biting is not a nice thing.
This isn't to say that this kitten can't learn that biting isn't cool. Our bottle babies grew up without litter mates or Mama's teaching the proper cat code and they are happy, normal (as normal as our cats can be, <g>), and learned proper cat etiquette. They WERE delayed, though, so I guess what I'm saying is don't expect great cat manners to happen overnight =) But it can be done!!! Just expect it to take a bit longer as (without the help of other cats, relatives or not), it can take longer for them to understand our language, apply it, and realize that biting/clawing doesn't always communicate to humans the same message it does to cats.
Just be patient, as I am sure you will be. =)

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
What an adorable kitten! I would describe her as a brown classic tabby and white Domestic Shorthair. She looks very sweet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lune0829

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks a lot guys, I was very curious of what breed she is. But in the end of the day, it doesnt't matter to me. She is a very lovely kitten. I should be more patient and apply the tricks and tips you guys said. Sadly, I can't afford to take another cat as it is expensive to take care of another one here in where I live (Italy). I will apply the Meep sound first and ignore her if she bites. Also is catnip safe for cat? I'm really curious because I want to "marinate" her toys in it so she have some fun with it. Usually she "play" with her toys only about 4-5 secs and doesnt care of them for the rest of the day. I bought a lot of them, and very sad that she doesnt like them.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with abyeb abyeb on description. She's so small but, maybe as she gets older something more may stand out as a lookalike. For the biting you can try scruffing her and hissing at her when she bites. This is what her mother would do. I would be gentle with the scruffing though since she is so small. You can look on youtube for video's on scruffing.

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think catnip is attractive to cats once they are a bit older.
She is very young and tiny kittens are a bit fluffier. She is probably a domestic short hair akin to an American short hair.
Do you know anyone who has an older cat she could stay with awhile? She really should be with other cats to learn proper cat behavior and socialization.