Kirkland dry cat food possible health issues???

florida potter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I work for a pet supply retailer in Ontario, Canada. Lately, I have had a lot of customers tell me that their cats have become ill on the Kirkland cat food. Most commonly, I hear complaints of dry, dull coat, itchiness, and weight gain, but I have also heard complaints of severe liver damage, kidney damage, and urinary tract infections. If you're willing to spend some time looking, there are many economical cat foods available that are of a much better quality than Kirkland, and some even offer frequent buyer programs which are great if you're feeding multiple cats. Look for a food that has been around for a long time and has a good track record. There are many excellent options.
I've fed Kirklands Maintenance food for years, even thru the 2009 recall. Beginning in May, with a new bag, mhy cats first refused to eat much and became ill.  Diamond maintains nothing has changed.  My vet advises that any rancid fats can cause kidne damage, other GI issues very quickly. I  suspect this is the issue.  As soon as I removed Kirkland food, cat health improved.  

Last edited by a moderator:

cat lady mt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I've fed Kirklands Maintenance food for years, even thru the 2009 recall. Beginning in May, with a new bag, mhy cats first refused to eat much and became ill.  Diamond maintains nothing has changed.  My vet advises that any rancid fats can cause kidne damage, other GI issues very quickly. I  suspect this is the issue.  As soon as I removed Kirkland food, cat health improved.  
Florida Potter......Did you ever find out more about your cats not eating the food? We have been feeding Kirkland maintenance cat food for 5 years with no problems. We have multiple cats and they all loved the food. They all eat with 'meal times' and generally eat all of their food and walk away. I purchased a bag earlier this month and have had issues since. I have 8 cats that arent eating. They will take one bite and walk away or not even show up to eat. I have one thats currently on IV fluids and several medications as he may now have pancreatitis. Ive had two cats develop urinary issues this month as well. These cats have not had one urinary issue since we started this food 5 years ago. I cant help but think its related to this new bag of food. Everyone was fine until this month. I think we will be going back to Costco and talking to them about this. It took us a long time to find a good quality, decently priced food for these cats and now I have to start all over. Anyone have any good suggestions on a good cat food that wont alter urine pH greatly? 

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know this is an old post but I work at a vet and all the veterinarians hate Kirkland food. Most cats they treat with UTI's are on this foo . We board cats here and when the vets see the owners brought that food they go "no wonder they're having 'this' issue"