Kinked Tail Normal?

kwestbrookb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Cat Lovers,
I have a 6 month old Scottish Fold kitten who is in great health. I started to notice she has a little kink in her tail. I know most of the time its genetic. But is it normal? Should I be worried? She's been to the vet numerous times now and she's in perfect health. Just wanted to get your thoughts!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Normal.

Could be genetics causing a kink. Could be in was broken inutero or during birth. Could be it broke when she was little and healed that way (I somehow broke a toe when I was young without ever realizing it). Any number of harmless causes but it is nothing to worry about.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Seconding this. Many cats have a little kink in their tails, especially at the very end. And the Siamese breed, at one point, had a very definite kink, although it went out of favor and was pretty much bred out.

Like this:

It still shows up sometimes.

Monk'sMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Long ago I had a blue point Siamese that had a genetic kinked tail. It was believed to be the result of inbreeding then, as I recall.
Ten years ago we recued a Turkish van mix that had a kink in her tail, but because it was such a fluffy tail it was not visible, just clearly felt. The vet thought she likely was born with it. However, this in intelligent cat refused to use the flap cat door, and I suspect her kink could have been the result of a trap or door injury.
Regardless, it is a benign thing almost always. Worry not.