Kindle Help

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Kindle Fire that I haven't used in awhile. I started to download a book my daughter bought for my birthday last month and it will not connect with the internet. I did a little research and I think I know what the problem is but can't figure out how to fix it. The date and time are incorrect (date says Feb 2000). I tried to reset it but couldn't get it. Any ideas? Keep explanations simple as I am not really tech savvy. I HATE calling tech support - they always make me feel so stupid!!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have Airplane mode turned off? Settings--->Device--->Wireless. When you go to Wireless, does it show any connections under "WiFi"? What happens if you tap on your own connection?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The airplane mode was the first thing I checked. When I tap my connection it says that it failed to authenticate. I can't get far enough to enter the password for the internet connection.

loveandwhiskers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try holding the power button (for about 20 secs) then release it. Turn your Kindle back on as normal - it should reset (you won't lose any of your books etc). Hope this works!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Another thing you could try is resetting your router. Turn your Kindle off, then unplug your router for 3 - 5 minutes. Plug it back in, wait until the lights for the various connections are back on, then restart your Kindle.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another thing you could try is resetting your router. Turn your Kindle off, then unplug your router for 3 - 5 minutes. Plug it back in, wait until the lights for the various connections are back on, then restart your Kindle.
Tried it.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
is your kindle's software up to date? have you checked your amazon account, to make sure your kindle is listed as a device associated with you/your account?

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This thread reminds me all over again, why I don't want one. :) I am not tech savy either. I can hardly operate my Tracfone. :lol:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tech support for Kindle is SO quick and easy.
Don't struggle. Send them a ticket/email and you'll be back up and running in no time.
Seriously, they are awesome.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I came back to this thread to get educated. If I had a Kindle, what could I do with it. Seriously. I don't know anything about I Pads or Kindles.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I came back to this thread to get educated. If I had a Kindle, what could I do with it. Seriously. I don't know anything about I Pads or Kindles.
It depends on whether you have a Kindle e-reader, with which you can buy, download, and read e-books, or a (Kindle Fire) tablet, which you can use as an e-reader, but is also a computer used to browse online, watch videos, send email, etc..

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the Fire and my husband has the paperwhite. Before mine messed up, I really liked it! Like jcat said, it is a computer as well as an e-reader. When my laptop crashed, I used the kindle to get on line. My husbands is only an e-reaer, but he LOVES it. He says the paperwhite is great for aging eyes since it is easier to read.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks to both of you. You both answered my question well. Now, I can think about this and decide if and what kind I would want. My husband is always wanting to buy be something and I need some things for a list. I have to be extremely careful about saying "I would like to have a ?? If I say I want a new car, I might come home and find one in the garage. :lol:

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks to both of you. You both answered my question well. Now, I can think about this and decide if and what kind I would want. My husband is always wanting to buy be something and I need some things for a list. I have to be extremely careful about saying "I would like to have a ?? If I say I want a new car, I might come home and find one in the garage. :lol:
Your husband sounds like mine. All I have to do is mention something that I like and he will try to get it for me. He is actually the reason I started breeding silver and golden Persians. I said I loved the way they looked so he bought my first silver for our silver wedding anniversary 15 years ago. The rest is history.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
blueyedgirl5946 blueyedgirl5946 If you decide to get a Kindle e-reader, spending a little extra for the Kindle Paperwhite is worthwhile, since you can read in bed, out on the porch, etc., without a light. Mine is without advertising, since it's a bit older. The Kindle Fire tablet I have is with advertising (cheaper), but it's very unobtrusive; just the screensaver has Amazon advertising.

Mimi519

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
blueyedgirl5946 blueyedgirl5946 If you decide to get a Kindle e-reader, spending a little extra for the Kindle Paperwhite is worthwhile, since you can read in bed, out on the porch, etc., without a light. Mine is without advertising, since it's a bit older. The Kindle Fire tablet I have is with advertising (cheaper), but it's very unobtrusive; just the screensaver has Amazon advertising.
I agree so much about the PaperWhite advantages. I have a couple of them and the Fire. My PaperWhite is my constant companion. Since they sync with each other - one in my purse and the other at bedside. I go days without opening the Fire though. I find its screen too small to enjoy doing anything on it but listen to music.

Last edited by a moderator: