kind of freaked out

abacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not totally just a little.:) you know when you're sick and you go online and suddenly you have every aweful disease known to man? That's what its like for me when my cats are sick. :(

I feel bad I only seem to post when I have a problem. Long story short there is an outdoor cat here that technicially isn't mine. Ive been feeding him for 2 years but up until recently he had a "home". His people moved out and left him!! :wife: I guess my telling them he hung out on my deck meant they could take off and I would take him. Have I mentioned I hate people? Anyway I cant bring him in because I have four right now including a baby that needs to be spayed.

Ok so not a short story... so I came home for lunch today and he is limping. As far as I can tell its not a wound. He wont let me get a good look at it but I don't see any cuts or blood. Hes a polydactyl so I'm hoping its an ingrown claw. He has also started drooling in the last couple of weeks. His breath seems fine and I only notice it when I pet him. I'm worried he may be sick. Ive lucked out with the other 3 ive brought in, they were healthy. He is going to the vet in the morning but I'm worried about the drooling. Could it be somerhing bad? His eyes are clear and he eats like a bear. He did manage to jump up on the deck tonight. I'm not sure if I should put him in the basement tonight. Any advise would be awesome.

Please excuse any typos, I'm on my tablet.

THANKS!

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my....I read your thread 7-8 hours ago and started to give you a quick reply, then got called away. Just got back to see you haven't had any replies. So sorry!

I had started with this: "Sorry, don't have too much time - but, if I were in your position, I'd certainly bring him inside".

So, I'm hoping you were able to do that. Two reasons, really.

With a cat, I always take the first available opportunity to act....cats being cats, they're not always "as available" as we are for things like Vet appointments! Having him in would certainly make for better chances of getting him treatment. The other concern has to do with the fact that cats often hide away when they're not feeling well - and, if that limping worsens, well...you can fill in the rest that follows from that "what if...".

Obviously, having him in the basement and away from your cats is best for all.

You mentioned seeing a limp - the only thing I wanted to say around that is to avoid accepting any anti-inflammatory pain meds by way of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAIDs) drugs. One, in particular, called Metacam, is being handed out by Vets these days as if it were cat candy. The problem with it is that it destroys kidney tissue - in any dosage. Lots of horror stories here http://www.metacamkills.com (If you're in the US, I would advise against even accepting it as injection, even though it's licensed for that usage. Same poison, different form...same result)

That's my offering. Keep us posted. (most of us who do what you're doing for him usually don't like the "limelight".....that said, good on you for what you're doing for him!!!)

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is probably in pain so bring him in as soon as possible and get him to a vet. ANd I second all that is said about metacam. It was actually withdrawn for use in the US for cats in 2011 but many vets still use it '0ff list'. There are alternatives, so insist on them.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sorry I'm just reading this, so you've probably already taken him to the Vet and hopefully gotten to the bottom of his issues.  I just wanted to say that one of my boys drools whenever he's feeling extremely "loved".  He does it when he's "kneading" on my stomach, so when you said he did it when you were petting him,maybe he was just content. 

Hoping the limping was just from a claw that needed trimming and that all is well now. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks all!

I didn't bring him in last night (I should have in hindsight). He did show up for his breakfast this morning so I was able to get him to the vet. Of course I found out he's a howler. :lol3: we were lucky it was an only an ingrown claw. The vet said it wasn't infected so she didn't have to give him antibiotics. I did get him a rabies shot while I was there.

She asked what my plans were for him and I told her I would love to find him a home but its unlikely I will. She asked about getting him tested and the rest of his shots. I was honest and told her money is tight right now and as soon as I can I will get it done. She was very nice about it and said I shouldn't be in the position to make those decisions, but what am I going to do I cant abandon him.

For now ill clean out my garage and turn it into his room so that when the weather is bad he'll have a place to go.

I think the drooling is just happy spit. :-)

I wont use Metacam, I was given it for Abby and I used it for a little while. The vet told me it was for dogs but ok to use for cats. She was honest about the risks. I decided it wasn't worth it and stopped using it. I am super paranoid about what my cats get.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmmm. His limp seems worse. He wont let me get a good look at it but from what I can see it looks ok. He hasn't been running around since he came home, hes pretty much been sleeping on the deck.

I washed his blanket and ill put it in the box he sleeps in (he has a nice dog house but he only uses it when its cold). I wonder if I should put a litter box out so he wont have to jump down to go to the bathroom.