Kidneys FIV BJ needs help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet diagnosed BJ ( FIV positive and survived heart worms after his rescue) with probable lymphoma. One kidney enlarged. Kidney values very high. This appeared immediately after a respiratory infection, an ear infection and then dental extraction of all teeth but two. He is active. After rounds of fluids, antibiotics, acid blocker and anti nausea he was well enough to come home. He urinated at vet and had BM. He had one day here where he ate well , drank water and seemed in pretty good shape. Much better. Came home on Sub Q fluids, acid blocker, anti nausea and was to start prednisone. This morning he was throwing up white foam and after anti nausea pill he drooled extensively. Back to the vet. Ultrasound shows the same with kidneys but vet says fluid around the enlarged kidney. Slightly low body temp. Active and alert but not feeling as well and did not eat today. Vet suggested euthanasia. I asked about UTI, blockage, constipation and ears. Ears were showing infection again and some redness. I had them put him on all meds via IV and keep him overnight. I want our usual vet to check him and explore other possible issues. Any suggestions welcome! Any input on fluid around kidney???? Hoping.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet diagnosed BJ ( FIV positive and survived heart worms after his rescue) with probable lymphoma. One kidney enlarged. Kidney values very high. This appeared immediately after a respiratory infection, an ear infection and then dental extraction of all teeth but two. He is active. After rounds of fluids, antibiotics, acid blocker and anti nausea he was well enough to come home. He urinated at vet and had BM. He had one day here where he ate well , drank water and seemed in pretty good shape. Much better. Came home on Sub Q fluids, acid blocker, anti nausea and was to start prednisone. This morning he was throwing up white foam and after anti nausea pill he drooled extensively. Back to the vet. Ultrasound shows the same with kidneys but vet says fluid around the enlarged kidney. Slightly low body temp. Active and alert but not feeling as well and did not eat today. Vet suggested euthanasia. I asked about UTI, blockage, constipation and ears. Ears were showing infection again and some redness. I had them put him on all meds via IV and keep him overnight. I want our usual vet to check him and explore other possible issues. Any suggestions welcome! Any input on fluid around kidney???? Hoping.
Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Symptoms of Fluid Imbalances and Urinary Issues. This may be more information than you want or need, but it does address the issue and possible causes; there is also a section on Treatment hyperlinked toward the bottom of the main page.
Know that my heartfelt *PRAYERS* for warrior BJ and for you, and your brother, continue. I'll keep this short because I know you have plenty on your plate.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending mega vibes and prayers for dear BJ! You are doing the right thing by having them use I.V. administration to fight those infections head-on. A second opinion is definitely needed and the vet who knows BJ the most is the best one, IMO. The nausea might be from the previous antibiotics. Is his current antinausea med called ondansetron (Zofran)? Also, ear infections can create nausea such the same as motion sickness. B12 deficiency might be another issue, as well as low B1. I know that it isn't common to do nutritional panels in cats but it might be worth an investigation. Please sleep well knowing that our prayers are uplifted and united for BJ and everyone at Chez Jcatbird :vibes::grouphug2::vibes::grouphug::vibes::redheartpump:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you to everyone! I have read and some of this reflects my suspicions. My heart is sad but my hopes are still here. Much to explore if we have time left to do so. BJ was in good spirits yesterday evening and enjoying watching cars out the window at the vet office. He loves being there and the people there. He is a popular fellow. Waiting for updates. Not giving up. :grouphug2:

Status
Not open for further replies.