Kidney Stones - Cat Not Eating Now

kurothecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Quick story Emmy is about 13 I think. I noticed faint blood in urine about 3 weeks ago, and took her to the vet. Xray showed some stones, one possibly in the process of being passed. Blood work was normal (including kidney function). So vet put her on C/D, which she seemed to like.

Fast forward to Saturday 7/27 - After being on the C/D for a couple weeks and acting normal, she started throwing up everything, including water. Took her to vet on 7/28, and they did another x-ray and more blood. Stone didnt really move, but all other functions were fine. They gave her Cerenia, I syringe fed her Chicken Baby food, and shes kept it down last night and this AM, but I can tell shes nauseous cuz shes not eating on her own and kind of drooling. I think she drank some water, she walked over to the fountain and stood there for 45 minutes. How much longer should I wait to see if she snaps out of it? Any other good food to syringe feed her? The vet thinks maybe the C/D made her sick, since that was the only thing we changed.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Not very long.

Sometimes anti nausea meds help, my boy wasn't helped, so we started hand feeding him with a popsicle stick and baby food, then switched to pate style foods along with royal canin.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kurothecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! Not very long.

Sometimes anti nausea meds help, my boy wasn't helped, so we started hand feeding him with a popsicle stick and baby food, then switched to pate style foods along with royal canin.
That's a good idea with the stick, shes not happy about being held and syringe fed.
I'll be taking her back today for more fluids and Cerenia. I'm just trying to get her back to a baseline. She's gotta eat.

kurothecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Emmy got some Sub Cu fluids last night, and I gave her some more Cerenia. Syringe fed her a/d and some more this AM. Still not eating on her own, but she is drinking water on her own. I hope I don't have to give Cerenia tonight. Vet mentioned Pancreatitis, any have a cat with that before?

kurothecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Emmy is back to herself. Eating normally. She still has kidney stones, so the vet suggested to try a different urinary type of food. Royal Canine SO. I don't want to change her food again, but she needs to be on something for her condition.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The thing about food for urinary stones is that the food is supposed to make the urine either acid or alkaline, depending on the kind of stone the cat has. Obviously in your case, you don’t have a stone to analyze, so you don’t know what to aim for. Some say the most important thing is just to feed canned food, any canned food, to increase water intake and, therefore, urine volume. You are already doing that.

Another thing you can do, in addition to antiemetics, is to give cyproheptadine to stimulate appetite. It’s an antihistamine which just happens to have this effect on appetite, no major side effects.

Good luck with Emmy, I know how frustrating it can be getting a cat to eat.

kurothecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The thing about food for urinary stones is that the food is supposed to make the urine either acid or alkaline, depending on the kind of stone the cat has. Obviously in your case, you don’t have a stone to analyze, so you don’t know what to aim for. Some say the most important thing is just to feed canned food, any canned food, to increase water intake and, therefore, urine volume. You are already doing that.

Another thing you can do, in addition to antiemetics, is to give cyproheptadine to stimulate appetite. It’s an antihistamine which just happens to have this effect on appetite, no major side effects.

Good luck with Emmy, I know how frustrating it can be getting a cat to eat.
Interesting on the food, I didn't know thats what the food was supposed to do. She already eats Iams dry, science diet adult dry, and merrick wet. We have a water fountain and shes at that several times a day getting water. So I think her water intake is ok. And she is eating normally. Thanks for that info!