Kidney Issues?

rexinminn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wonder if Peanut may have kidney disease or diabetes. She is drinking more water, but not an extraordinary amount, than usual and her urine clumps are often as large as my fist. She's on an all-meat diet (canned) and has been for the last ten years. She is 12 years old and had a bad allergic reaction to Frontline ten years ago, which the vet said compromised her pancreas. Her behavior is good. We visited a homeopathic vet a few weeks ago and we put her on a probiotic to help improve her stool consistency, but she won't eat the food with the probiotic in it. If anyone has any thought to share on how I might get a better idea of what's going on before I take her to a regular vet, I would appreciate hearing from you. Or if there have been other threads related to this issue that you know of, please let me know.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it a probiotic capsule? Have you tried splitting it up, half a capsule in one meal, the other half in another meal? That way maybe she wouldn't detect it in the food.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As far as her drinking more, my cats eat only wet food, and I NEVER, EVER see them drink from their water bowls. Granted, I add extra water to their wet food, probably because I've already had three kidney cats and now I'm paranoid, but still. I think any change in behavior like this warrants having bloodwork done, just to rule out anything. She is, afterall, a senior.

I agree with M maggiedemi , BTW, in simply decreasing the amount of probiotic per meal, at least until she gets used to the taste of it. I give my guys 1/2 capsule in the a.m. and 1/2 in the p.m.

Snowhite525

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Blood work is definitely in order. This will tell you if any values are compromised by potential disease processes. Make sure that a CBC, chemistry, and t-4 are performed just to error on the side of caution.