Kidney Friendly Diet

Blueberries33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Hey everyone just wondering if anyone has an opinion on this?
I've fed my cats on applaws since they were kittens, but recently one of them had a bad kidney infection- currently on the second last day of his 3 week antibiotic course.
He is peeing perfectly again, but until he is retested we can't rule out kidney disease.

I was advised to take him off all dry food but hes miserable and only eating like one sachet of urinary food a day. I'm worried hes gonna lose too much weight.

Do you think a small amount of applaws dry food mixed with his wet would be okay?
I tried it tonight and he ate a little more than usual to get the nuggets. But I dont want to put too much strain on his kidneys.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kidney cats should eat a quality food that is high in protein. Dry food is definitely a big NO for kidney cats, or any cat really. I think it's fine to add some regular wet food into his diet (add some extra water that is warm). It's better than losing weight and getting unhealthy. What you should be concerned about is feeding low phosphorus foods for kidney disease. Catinfo.org has all the info you'll ever need. It's a veterinarian's website as well.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree with kittyluv387 kittyluv387 . I've had three kidney cats and even my Vet said it was ok to feed GOOD QUALITY high protein food with the last one. Luckily I had already weaned her off of dry food, so feeding wet with extra water added wasn't a problem, but the damage was already done :frown:. Hopefully your little one's numbers are goofed up because of the infection and he really doesn't have kidney disease. If he does, then if you can get him to eat at least SOME wet food, you'll be doing him a great favor, IMHO.

Here is another website that isn't interactive, but has a whole lot of information concerning feline kidney disease. It's my "go to": Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat

:vibes::vibes::vibes: