Kidney Failure

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure you have a water bowl in every room and use filtered water, some municipal water has so much chlorine in it.
~ An yes good point ! I was giving my cat distilled water ( pure H2O ) but cats don't like it so I always added a splash of tap water.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a CKD kitty. He was diagnosed at stage 3, and lived a good, happy 3 years until his decline at the age of 20. For the first year or so after diagnosis a diet change and periodic SubQ fluids was all we did. Eventually the fluids had to be administered daily and a couple of times he had to be given antibiotics for his teeth. With CKD, they are prone to teeth problems and infections, but unfortunately, our kitty was not a candidate for cleanings or extraction, the anesthesia would have probably killed him. I would recommend a good mouth exam to try and get on top of any teeth/gum problems now rather than wait until any infections set in. There are some water additives, treat pastes that you rub on the gums and you could even brush his teeth to help prevent any issues from developing.
Although we simply used the vets prescription foods, I do agree that a high quality protein but LOW PHOSPHORUS food is what's beneficial for CKD. Check out this link if you would like to find some foods that would be appropriate.
https://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf
If your cat is eating the prescription foods and it's working then that's fine, but it's way more important that your cat eats something at all over trying to force them to eat the prescription foods. CKD kitties are prone to appetite issues so having a few foods in rotation is always handy to keep your cat eating. The fluids were key to keeping my kitty's appetite up and feeling well overall.
If you ever get to the point where your kitty does not want the prescription foods, you could also inquire about phosphorus binders (medication) so you are able to widen your food options for him.
And Tanya's website, as others have mentioned is a fantastic source of information, I used it often and it was really helpful. This site has also been a godsend as I've gone thru many health scares and losses with my cats.
Good luck with your kitty!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sherry333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! Very good info. I love having someone to communicate with to help me though this. He is eating the Kd food for now I am going to explore some raw food options that James told me about. So sorry you all had to go through this. He was just diagnosed and it’s already very tough. My heart is broken. How will I know when it’s really time to let him go I don’t want to let go

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How will I know when it’s really time to let him go I don’t want to let go
So cliche to say this but, you will know. I learned all about the disease and knew my cat very well, but was always skeptical about those who would say "Oh, you'll just know", but then the time came, and we just knew.
I learned all the end stage symptoms of CKD, researched all the signs of cat who is ready to pass away and in the end, despite all my understandings and research that just made me crazy and overthink everything, I just knew. My cat was a fighter, so I could always tell if he wanted to come back to me whenever he crashed. The last time he started to decline, granted, he did develop CHF in the end, he told us this was it for him. I never felt like I gave up on him, despite my fears that I would and I don't feel guilty, because I know I did everything I could as things progressed. It's hard to let go, and dealing with CKD is tough, but there is a sense of peace when you can be compassionate and selfless when the time does come to let go.

Although it's good to be prepared, at stage 2, I would really try to focus on all the time you have left with him. You have so many options ahead of you to keep him stable for a long time. Even my Toby lasted almost a year in stage 4 (end stage). :angel3:
But always remember we are all here, even if you just need to rant about how crappy CKD is!:argh:

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Jem Jem Stage 2 shouldn't be viewed as a point of no return. Good nutrition, hydration and regular checkups should help in ensuring you have many wonderful years with your sweet boy.

Sherry333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. Just heart broken. He not eating much today. All he wants to do is sleep today. I did move a litter pan close. He seems to have stopped peeing on the couch . thanks for being there for me. I am calling my vet tomorrow.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if it is the pancreatitis that, is causing it? Have you tried giving him any pain meds? my vet prescribed buprenorphine

Sherry333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes he is on gabapentin for pain because he has arthritis in his back. I thought about giving him an appetite enhancer. I have a few left from when he had pancreatitis.

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would not wait to start giving him fluids. We practically reversed our cat's stage 2 kidney failure with 50cc's every other night (his numbers are back in the normal range now). It does wonders for them, especially if he's uncomfortable enough to pee outside the box.

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I've lost quite a number of cats to kidney failure over the years. Fluids is really the way to go to keep him around as long s you can!

My cat Emmitt has been diagnosed with stage 2 Kidney failure. I am heat broken. . My vet put him on a K/D food to see if that helps before administering fluids. Any advise would be great. This is a new issue for me .

Sherry333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would not wait to start giving him fluids. We practically reversed our cat's stage 2 kidney failure with 50cc's every other night (his numbers are back in the normal range now). It does wonders for them, especially if he's uncomfortable enough to pee outside the box.

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I've lost quite a number of cats to kidney failure over the years. Fluids is really the way to go to keep him around as long s you can!
Thank you for that information. I will call my vet tomorrow

Sherry333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Started giving Emmitt fluids. He seems to be feeling a little better. He hasn’t peed on the couch for about a week now. So thankful!!!

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Emmitt has been diagnosed with stage 2 Kidney failure. I am heat broken. . My vet put him on a K/D food to see if that helps before administering fluids. Any advise would be great. This is a new issue for me .
Prayers for ure kitty...n u

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So happy to hear that the fluids are helping him. It really does do wonders.
Sending you good thoughts that he rallies and is back to his old self in no time!

Sherry333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So happy to hear that the fluids are helping him. It really does do wonders.
Sending you good thoughts that he rallies and is back to his old self in no time!
Thank You! :dizzycat:

Sherry333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I haven’t been here for a while. I just wanted to update you. I have been giving Emmitt fluids for several months now. He seems to be doing better. He is up and around more. He even played a little this week. He hasn’t done that in months. Thanks for all the advise! Thank you for being here for us! :dizzycat::purr:

Sherry333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise