kidney failure

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sicycat

Chichi refuses to eat the special diet.. so she still eats Friskies
and she's been ok for almost 3 years with just the fluids (and Transfer Factor).
I think the fluids are the main necessity.
Thanks for this info!

sann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
"some supplements and herbs and her numbers are better( lower ) than the day of diagnoisis" can you tell us what supplements and herbs you are giving your Kandie? 

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
sann, this is also a pretty old thread.  Please start up your own thread and ask questions, as many of the people who posted on this thread are no longer posting here on this site.  I fear your cat has just been diagnosed with kidney disease and you are frantically searching for information
.  I did the same thing.

Did you Vet give  you numbers (BUN, Creatinine, that type of thing)?  Did they tell you next steps?  That is the sort of thing to put in your thread, which you can start up here:  http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/threads/add/forumId/4, and if you don't know where to start with your kitty, then just say that.  say whatever you feel and we'll get you started with some suggestions.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sann, also consider reading over this sticky thread on CRF   A couple of links may be out of date but most are good and the suggestions and experiences posted may be of  help.

I once again have a cat in crf, and she is doing quite well several years after diagnosis on my usual routine of lower phos/lower protein food, Pepcid (as prescribed by my vet) and Calcitriol.  She's 18 1/2 and going strong :)

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sann, also consider reading over this sticky thread on CRF   A couple of links may be out of date but most are good and the suggestions and experiences posted may be of  help.

I once again have a cat in crf, and she is doing quite well several years after diagnosis on my usual routine of lower phos/lower protein food, Pepcid (as prescribed by my vet) and Calcitriol.  She's 18 1/2 and going strong :)

Pat, what does Calcitriol do?  How do you use it?

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pat, what does Calcitriol do?  How do you use it?
It is active Vitamin D3, and I can not explain it as well as the section on Tanya's Page   I know it is considered controversial by some vets, but the fact is that my experience with it is positive. I've used it with all my CRF kitties over the years, beginning with Patrick.  You do have to watch their lab values, but I am so pleased to report that Lyra's recent values are: BUN was 51 - now 31 (normal for this lab), Creat: was 3.1, now 2.5.  Potassium and phosphorus were normal and she's holding stable with her hematocrit - was 34, now 36.  Her calcium levels remain normal.
I am convinced it extended Patrick's life and is extending Lyra's.   Lyra receives this as a compounded liquid in a fishy flavor, she gets a very tiny amount once per day.

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thanks.  I read the link.  Lyra's figures are pretty impressive! And what wonderful news THAT is

What amount of time did it take for that to happen (the decrease)?  Gosh, here I told Sann she should open up her own thread, and here I am discussing this with you now on this old thread myself
)  But you raised my curiosity!   What happens if her weight changes, as so many CKD cat's weight does?  It seems as if this Calcitriol is an EXACT science, so weight would be extremely important!  I'm asking not only for my own Callie,but also because, as an Advisor, I answer so many other folks questions on this topic, so I like to be as informed as possible
.  I usually refer them to Tanya's site first thing, which i will with Sann when she starts up her thread, but still it's good to be armed with this information.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks.  I read the link.  Lyra's figures are pretty impressive! And what wonderful news THAT is

What amount of time did it take for that to happen (the decrease)?  Gosh, here I told Sann she should open up her own thread, and here I am discussing this with you now on this old thread myself
)  But you raised my curiosity!   What happens if her weight changes, as so many CKD cat's weight does?  It seems as if this Calcitriol is an EXACT science, so weight would be extremely important!  I'm asking not only for my own Callie,but also because, as an Advisor, I answer so many other folks questions on this topic, so I like to be as informed as possible
.  I usually refer them to Tanya's site first thing, which i will with Sann when she starts up her thread, but still it's good to be armed with this information.
I hope you'll also refer folks to the sticky thread I started so long ago..some good information is in there!  Lyra's weight has been staying fairly stable, if it did not, I'd play with what wet foods I was giving her (rotating among those that meet the parameters I want for phos and protein level - as close as I can get), if it really sank I might ask for an appetite stimulant - or see if it was time to start sub-q fluids to get her better hydrated.