Kidney Failure - Readings from Bloods help

Status
Not open for further replies.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry your little guy is declining so rapidly. I really hope he got enough of the medicine to calm him down so you will be able to get him in his carrier. I know it is tough and you are going through a lot right now. Try to be strong for him. He needs you now more than ever. He knows you love him, he is probably scared, in pain, not knowing what is going on. Just try to do what you can with him with causing the least amount of stress on him. Do you have a vet that can come to your house if need be? That might be the route you have to go?..
I want you to know that you have a big support system here. Like I said just do what you can for him with causing the least amount of stress to him.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Everyone here has given excellent advice; it is really a matter of what your instincts are telling you to try to do right now. I am sorry that you are in this situation and you did not cause things to go this way. These judgment calls are extremely hard to make.

I was in this situation once with an outdoor feral who was clearly dying and had eluded any capture for a couple of weeks. I bundled every inch of myself up and managed to get him into a carrier and to the ER for euthanasia. Not going to lie, as it was not peaceful or pleasant, but the ongoing options were worse. In the course of all this, be cautious and keep him away from your face. As was suggested, used goggles and even a mask if you have any around.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pudner1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks very much for your the advice and help.

My cat died at home this evening at 4.30pm. I had someone who is very good with animals go in to see how he was to put him into the carrier and he asked me to leave the room as I distressed. He died during that time so I was not present when it happened. I was with him for until the last 30 minutes. He was twitching and his head was down in the 'meatloaf' position. I was able to pet him. He was still nervy with me because I had tried to use a syringe to squirt Gabagentin into his mouth a few times earlier in the day and he had hidden under various tables in order to get away from me dragging his legs as he did so. I wish this had not happened but I was able to sit beside him and tell him that I was sorry and that I loved him over and over. I have no experience with caring for ill or dying cats (feral ones or indeed any ones) so I will have to excuse myself for adding additional stress and trauma to his last hours but I feel awful about it as I wanted his last hours to be peaceful. i don't know what to think this evening about the way I did it but i do think that if I had another cat that was dying of kidney failure I would not wait until he got into the state my cat got into - his last three days were tough and he was suffering a lot. Thanks very much Kflowers, IndyJones and Silent Meowlook for your helps and advice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pudner1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks very much HeatherWillard and Fionasmom for your advice - i was trying to go on instinct but it was hard to know and because I was not calm...things did not go well. I will look on the bright side which was that he died at home. I am trying to look on the bright side - the vet told me when I brought him in this evening that putting a cat to sleep can be quite stressful for the cat if it is still conscious and would have been awful for my own cat. I brought him in but I was told that he was dead. The vet checked him and confirmed that and he is going to be cremated now. He will not suffer anymore. Thanks for all the help. I won't write too much about how I feel now but this cat was the most important thing in the world to me. the veterinary nurse told me that there are a lot of people like that.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks very much for your the advice and help.

My cat died at home this evening at 4.30pm. I had someone who is very good with animals go in to see how he was to put him into the carrier and he asked me to leave the room as I distressed. He died during that time so I was not present when it happened. I was with him for until the last 30 minutes. He was twitching and his head was down in the 'meatloaf' position. I was able to pet him. He was still nervy with me because I had tried to use a syringe to squirt Gabagentin into his mouth a few times earlier in the day and he had hidden under various tables in order to get away from me dragging his legs as he did so. I wish this had not happened but I was able to sit beside him and tell him that I was sorry and that I loved him over and over. I have no experience with caring for ill or dying cats (feral ones or indeed any ones) so I will have to excuse myself for adding additional stress and trauma to his last hours but I feel awful about it as I wanted his last hours to be peaceful. i don't know what to think this evening about the way I did it but i do think that if I had another cat that was dying of kidney failure I would not wait until he got into the state my cat got into - his last three days were tough and he was suffering a lot. Thanks very much Kflowers, IndyJones and Silent Meowlook for your helps and advice.
I'm so sorry for your loss. You did what in your heart was the right thing for him. He just declined too rapidly to be able to be able to medicate and get him in a carrier. Don't beat yourself up. He knows you love him.
He will always be there with you. He is pain free happy and running around now. Keep his best moments with you and hold those great memories close in your heart. Never let go of the great times he and you had. I know it is hard. You do have a support system here for you.
Take the day and try to decompress once you get home. Make sure you are taking care of yourself the next few days/weeks. Sleeping, staying hydrated and trying to eat healthy. I mention eating healthy because it does have an impact on your mental health as well as physical.

Again I am so sorry for your loss. And we are all here for you.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. Please do not think that there is some sort of a blueprint for these things and that you somehow missed finding it. The fact that he was originally feral makes all of this more complicated and puts much more of this out of your control. You were his friend and gave him a wonderful life and care when he needed it. He passed away on his terms and in his home.

Was he the big orange cat with no tail that you had posted about?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
When a cat passes, we close the thread out of respect. If you would like to post a tribute to your boy in our Crossing the Bridge forum you are more than welcome to do so.

Again, I am very sorry for your loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.