kidney dsease

seaturtle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As I have written before, my Wisner has late-stage renal disease. I am keeping her going with weekly fluids and daily spoon feedings of Fancy Feast.. She will eat only a tablespoonful at  time, so I am constantly interrupting everything to feed her. It takes her a good 10 minutes to eat that amount.

I face the decision as whether or not to stop the fluids and let her go. She may have  few months, who knows.

The thought of having her put down knowing she could live longer is excruciating. Yet she is at the end of her life soon.
Has anyone who has dealt with this situation give me some advice\? I will feel awful if I put her down now, but she is shrinking more every day. She is comfortable, and so sticking so close to me.

I welcome some words of wisdom. Thanks.

kellie90

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh I do truly understand what you are going thru as we had 3 kitties at once dealing with kidney disease, ages 18 yrs, 20 yrs, and 22 yrs when they passed.  We were not is stage 4 when we found out thru blood tests and such but I remember the overwhelming doom that I felt like it was yesterday.  One thing that I was told by our vet and my GP was that kidney disease is usually not painful and in our case I can tell you that none appeared to be in pain at anytime.  I held my Bruno in my arms until he took his last breath which was the hardest thing for me, but probably the most ideal for him.  My Sassy girl I just knew when it was time to put her down, she had gotten so weak she could hardly walk and I had to carry her to the litter the last hrs of her life....many kitties just give you this look like they are so  tired and had enough.  My Morgan girl just sort of went down and I knew that it was time to let her go.  I am so very sorry that you are going thru this.  It sounds like you are the best mommy by feeding her and making sure she has fluids and everything she needs right now.  The only advice I can give to you is to really look into your baby's eyes and you will know when the time is right. Hugs to you and your girl!