Kidney disease -needs to gain weight

kpc1024

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey all, my boy Rascal needs to plump up. He is down to 7.3lbs and is skin and bones. He really likes grilled chicken. Do you think I can feed him some daily to increase his calories? He eats about a can of food a day, he needs more. I tried the gel that goes in his ear but it didnt work. Unless it takes time to work. Anyway, any tips? Thanks!

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What gel, if you don't mind me asking?

Look for canned foods high in calories but low in phosphorus. You may want to check out Hills A/D, which is commonly used to support hospital patients that need a lot of fat and nutrients to recover. You will have to check phosphorus levels on that though, as I am unsure.

I don't think some fatty chunks of raw meat would hurt either, as long as it is human grade and sanitary. Perhaps try adding a topper (freeze dried treats, fortiflora) to his food to encourage him to eat more.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would go ahead and feed him some grilled chicken since he will eat it. So far, I am keeping Feeby's weight stable by feeding her some baby food meat (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut) in addition to her regular food. A single jar can add up to 70-90 calories in a day. I am just throwing that out there in case there are times when he isn't as keen on the chicken - more or less as a back up.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Some cats really go for all the stews, bisques, and toppers that are on the market as snacks. Hartz Delectables, Fancy Feast broths, etc. There are a very large number, usually in the same section of a place like Petsmart.