Kidney disease need help with diet

ann22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My soon to be 16 year old FIV positive kitty was just diagnosed with kidney disease. The doctor recommended Royal Canin kidney diet can food or Tiki soft cat food. I bought both. My cat has been eating some and is already showing improvement, playing like crazy, which is wonderful. Only problem he is starting to not like either brand and is begging me to feed him something else. He is just not getting enough food and is already underweight. Does anyone know if there's other brands that are safe for kidney disease?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Are you familar with Tanya's web site? It is an 'everything you would ever want/need to know about CKD (chronic kidney disease)' There is a section in the web site that lists low phosphorus foods, which is the primary goal behind most kidney disease related foods.
You can start with that section - Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease- Canned Food Data USA (felinecrf.org), but I would highly recommend that you peruse other sections of interest to you, and eventually read as much as you can. It is a lot of data, but well worth it to try and get through it. I reference it a lot.

Also, for other foods that you might be interested in that are not included on the list, the best way to find out what the phosphorus level is on a dry matter basis it to contact the manufacturer directly and ask - most are more than happy to provide that data to you.

I do know that Weruva now has a low phosphorus food - Wx Phosphorus Focused – Weruva - which may be another one to try. My cat doesn't like it, but that doesn't mean your cat will be the same.

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
For the record, my cats LOVVEEE that BFF stuff! It's not cheap, though!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ann22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Feebys owner. I have heard of Weruva but a little worried about the higher protein in it.
Thank you Mighty Orange, I will Check out the list.
Thank you carrie640.

ann22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Carrie640, does your cat have CKD?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have heard of Weruva but a little worried about the higher protein in it.
The old school of thought was that cats with kidney disease needed to consume less protein as it was believed that helped reduce negative effects on the kidneys' function. Now, there is more of a belief that restricting protein is counter-productive because it exacerbates muscle mass loss in cats who are already experiencing that from the natural aging process. It seems that reducing protein intake is more appropriate in the late stages of kidney disease when the kidneys get to the point that they need all the help they can get. At this point, muscle mass loss becomes a lesser concern.

ann22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Mighty Orange, I would have never known that something like that existed.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi A ann22 !

FeebysOwner FeebysOwner gave you a link to the "Oracle for all things CKD".......and, while that's literally a complete reference library on the subject, finding something in there early on can be like looking for that 'needle in the ol' hay stack'!

There's a whole section in there on phosphorous binders, right here.

ann22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much white Shadow! You guys have been a huge help! My regular vet is out as she had twins and will not be back until January. I really love my vet, so this is a bummer this is all happening while she is gone. My kitty is just not eating enough, is now underweight and is more lethargic. I am so attached to him, he is so special, everyone that meets him loves him and he just
soaks up all the attention and he does not have a mean streak in him at all. I am so scared I am going to lose him. I tried Tiki silver cat and Royal Canine prescription. He will eat a little but not enough. I now have tried pretty much every non prescription low phosphorus can food at Petco, which he did not like. The vet that is filling in said, I could not use the low phosphorus non prescription cans anyhow. I only have Hills Prescription and Purina Prescription diet to try next, but I am scared I am running out of options. He eats some of the non prescription low phosphorus foods, but not enough for long term survival. I am not sure if he just hates everything or just sick. His behavior leads me to think he is sick.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A lot of cats with CKD need an appetite stimulant to help keep their appetite up. Any many also need an anti-nausea med too. Is there a backup vet that could prescribe those for you in your vet's absence? I use the ear gel called Mirataz for an appetite stimulant and the dosage can be adjusted depending on how your cat responds. I use Ondansetron for anti-nausea, but my cat rarely takes it. The Mirataz does keep her appetite up.

Do you have the blood work results that were most likely done to diagnose the kidney disease? Just curious what your cat's kidney numbers are.

Last edited:

ann22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
FeebysOwner, I did see a backup vet, but then had a third vet who I never met call me and told me my cat had kidney disease. I later found out the back up vet I saw was just a floater and that was why she did not call. When the doctor did call I had severe food posing and was upset hearing the news and at that time I did not think to ask about the specific numbers or understand any of that. All they told me was they were elevated. Since then, I have been conversing with the front desk staff by phone and they go ask the doctor and get back with me if I have any questions. I will call Monday and get more specifics and let them know again, my cat is not doing good. My regular vet did give me her email and told me to email her if I needed anything. I told her she will have her hands full, she said I am not dead, you can email me. Do you guys think it would be rude to email her? She is a first time mom with twins! She does not know my cat who she has been treating for years has kidney disease. Last time we checked his blood in June it was all great, by October not good, but my vet was already gone. She is a fantastic vet, she kept my FIV cat alive for a long time now.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since your vet offered for you to contact her, I would. But don't stop conversing with her office in the meantime in case she can't get back to you right away. You can also ask the vet's office to email you a copy of the bloodwork so you can see the numbers. Maybe get a copy of the bloodwork done in June too. Then you can see the differences for yourself. These test results are yours for free.

IMO, it would be better if he were to eat whatever he likes until you can figure out what else might be going on. He needs to keep up his food intake. Ask the backup vet why he can't have non-prescription low phosphorus foods - you need to understand their reasoning. Maybe if they know he is not doing well, they might say it is OK to feed him whatever he wants for now. I cannot tell you to go against the vet, but I know if it were me, I'd feed him whatever he will eat at this point.