Kidney disease low phosphorus

fromthevalley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I honestly could be bad at searching, but I’m on my cell and I’m having problems finding it if anyone could point me in the direction.

I’m trying to figure out phosphorus content for a cat with kidney disease. What’s a good percent to stay under (as fed and as dry matter) and how do you calculate if they only give mg per kcal? I’m seeing that cats with kidney disease should be on a diet low in phosphorus but I can’t find like a good number to work with (unless, like I said, I’m completely blind).

Thanks!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello - this website may help to provide information, although the info is falling out of date. If you see a food listed that you're particularly interested in you may wish to contact the manufacturer to confirm whether they've changed their recipes.
There is an additional support group specific for kidney cats as well;

Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Diet and Nutrition Overview

Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Tanya's Support Group

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fromthevalley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello - this website may help to provide information, although the info is falling out of date. If you see a food listed that you're particularly interested in you may wish to contact the manufacturer to confirm whether they've changed their recipes.
There is an additional support group specific for kidney cats as well;

Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Diet and Nutrition Overview

Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Tanya's Support Group
Thanks. I’m def. going to use their support site because Artemis is already eating low phosphorus foods with not to high not too low protein but I guess I’ll have to switch to therapeutic??

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dr. Pierson from catinfo.org recommends to stay within 300mg per 100kcal. From asking companies what their amounts and figures are 300mg seems to look like 1.6% (approx) on a dry matter basis.
Just to be clear, on her food chart, Dr. Pierson says this about kidney disease and phosphorus:
Also note that phosphorus values are not listed on the package and this value is important for cats with kidney disease. (The lower the phosphorus level, the better.)
(I'm thinking that maybe that 1.6% figure (plus/minus) is for cats without kidney disease?

In any case, when we had a kidney cat, I used Dr. Pierson's charts and the charts on the page that Furballsmom Furballsmom linked to.

Thanks. I’m def. going to use their support site because Artemis is already eating low phosphorus foods with not to high not too low protein but I guess I’ll have to switch to therapeutic??
That site is great!

For our cat, we looked for foods that were below or not much higher than 1% dry matter; Weruva has a lot of them and we were lucky that she liked Weruva! A lot depends on Artemis and how far her disease has progressed. Lots of fluids is important (we gave subcutaneous fluids) and feeding as much wet food as possible (preferably all wet food) is important, too. But just keeping a cat fed is probably most important, to avoid muscle wasting.

Every cat is different and there are many approaches to treating kidney disease. I followed Dr. Pierson's, which meant not limiting protein but rather feeding foods with high-quality meat-based protein. Her approach and our vet's approach (which would have included prescription food that I was pretty sure our cat wouldn't eat) were not the same; our vet was surprised when our cat's kidney numbers improved in her last months of life. It's hard to say what might have happened had she lived longer: ultimately, it was her digestive disorders that killed her, not kidney disease. She was at least 17 and had lots of ailments, so she was very frail after a long life!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fromthevalley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
lisahe lisahe Artemis gets fed canned or raw, depending on what she wants to eat that day. Canned is mostly weruva with instinct LID or pure protein thrown in - chicken, turkey, or rabbit. Raw is instinct (chicken or rabbit) or primal (chicken, turkey, or venison).

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now that I remember the recommendation by dr. P was staying at around 1% or lower for actual kidney cats.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lisahe lisahe Yes agreed that is for cats we without issues. Lower the better for those with kidney disease. The AAFCO requirement is pretty low for adults. .5% on a DMB I believe?
I don't remember what the AAFCO requirement is for adults though do recall that it's relatively low.
Now that I remember the recommendation by dr. P was staying at around 1% or lower for actual kidney cats.
That sounds about right. (If only because that may well be where I got my 1% (plus-minus) when we had Brooksie!)
lisahe lisahe Artemis gets fed canned or raw, depending on what she wants to eat that day. Canned is mostly weruva with instinct LID or pure protein thrown in - chicken, turkey, or rabbit. Raw is instinct (chicken or rabbit) or primal (chicken, turkey, or venison).
That's a good start for Artemis's diet! I don't know much about Instinct since our cats hate it (cats!) but recall that Primal's phosphorus levels didn't seem too high. Looking at the pork freeze-dried, I see that the phosphorus is listed as 1.11%, which shouldn't be too horribly far from the dry matter figure since the moisture is only 3%. (I haven't calculated DMB since Brooskie, over six years ago so may be totally botching this, though!) The turkey's a little lower, the chicken's considerably higher... no matter what, I'd call them to ask for their DMB figures for whatever you're feeding, just to be sure!

It's great if Artemis likes Weruva since there's so much variety and their site has so much nutritional information readily available.