Kidney Disease Kitty Conditon Worsened After Sub-q

nekomaui

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

Always thankful for the wonderful advice I get from this site. Recently I am trying to take care of two senior cats and one much younger one.

My 12 year-old boy's blood test numbers have gone up, so the vet suggested me learn how to give sub-q at home. I took him in to practice with the vet a few days after that. It was my first pratice. He was given 240ml for his weight (about 5.4 kg). Until that visit he had been eating wet food and drinking a lot at home, so I was a little concerned about overhydration. But the vet said it should be fine. We went home around 11 am, and that night, he looked so sick, and lethargic, not moving and yelped when I touched the fluid left under his arms. He was obviously uncomfortable. But the next morning, he got up and ate a little wet food and went back to sleep. It took him at least 24 hours after the sub-q to act a bit normal. Was he overhydrated? It could also be because he absolutely hates being in a carrier and growls like a lion in his biggest voice everytime. I have stopped taking him to the vet since then which was 8 days ago. The vet said my kitty would feel better with sub-q but I don't want to stress him out for those practice sessions at the vet's.

I would appreciate any advice. Think he in stage 2/stage 3, but then again it's just my guess.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi nekomaui.

240 ml, to me, is a huge amount. Yes, I believe he would have been over-hydrated.

I'll give you the link to the 'Tanya' site where fluid amounts is discussed: Amount of Fluids

There's a lot to managing this condition. There is a place where you can get 24/7 coaching, info and support. Details are here: How the Group Works. The online group is here: Tanya's Support Group

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would agree, from personal experience that 240 ml is quite a lot.
In ours we gave him 100 ml daily, and the vet mentioned to us that if it seemed he was lethargic or not himself one day, we could bump it up to 150 ml for a day or two.
If more fluid than that really is needed, you could possibly break up the doses to twice a day in two different areas so the fluid pouch is not so big and uncomfortable for your kitty.
As I said though, 240 ml seems like too much, but I'm not a vet.
Is this something you are to do "forever" or is this just something the vet wants you to do for a week or so?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nekomaui

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
white shadow white shadow
Thanks for the reply and link to Tanya's site. I have it bookmarked and refer to it often. I will join the support group as well soon.
Jem Jem
This vet told me that it wasn't a one off thing so learning how to do it at home was best. I live in Japan and it seems the syringe method is preferred here. I did tell him my concern so he said maybe to start with 180ml. Still that is a lot to me because my kitty, Ponta, the tabby and white in my avatar, is still drinking and eating on his own. I have another vet that is closer but it is a very run down clinic with no tech, just the vet himself and no advanced equipment. I only take all 3 cats to the rundown one for regular shots because it isn't complicated. It is the faraway yet new clinic that told me to learn how to do sub-q at home. The trip there is too much for Ponta. :(