Kidney Disease Eating Habits

TazCal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat Tazzy (20lbs) with kidney disease who requires wet food only and another cat Cali who eats kibble. They both have automatic food bowls that only open for their specific microchip collar, however, Tazzy has been holding Cali's automatic door to her bowl open with his head and finishing all her food after she eats.... so many times that he caused an abrasion over his eye that he continues to reopen and bleed. Tazzy is also supposed to be dieting right now. 😭🤦🏽‍♀️Please comment with any ideas or suggestions!

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, the only thing I can think of to suggest is to start scheduling the kibble feedings, in a separate room.

Are you going too fast with the decrease in calories for him?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I echo the above question about how/if you are handling a reduced amount of food for Tazzy. If you didn't do a reduction slowly over time, Tazzy probably isn't dealing with the change well - not just mentally, but physically. My mantra about putting a cat on a diet is to remember the endeavor is a marathon, not a sprint. It can take a long time in order to help a cat adapt. And, usually each time the food is reduced in quantity it should be done by no more than 10% - ideally 5%. Each reduction should really not occur any faster than once a month. It may be slow in getting the weight off, but it sure helps the cat adjust more easily.

In addition to that, many cats either won't eat prescription renal food or they end up growing to dislike it after a period of time. That could also be part of Tazzy's problem with wanting Cali's food. There are other low phosphorus foods that are not prescription that Tazzy might like better. You can use this food chart as a reference - Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease- Canned Food Data USA (felinecrf.org).

Are you considering changing Cali's food from dry to wet? That would help some. Secondly, you really will likely need to find a way to separate them during meals - also as noted above. It isn't exactly cheap, but you could consider putting a micro-chip door flap to one of your rooms and work with Cali to recognize that is where her food is. Unless Tazzy follows her through the door flap, he won't be able to access her food, helping with his weight loss and certainly stopping him from injuring himself. .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TazCal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, the only thing I can think of to suggest is to start scheduling the kibble feedings, in a separate room.

Are you going too fast with the decrease in calories for him?
Yes he has been on the same amount of food for months lol! He has just been eating hers here and there so he has omly lost 2 lbs in like 7 months. Sometimes one of us will stand there and watch him to ensure he isn't getting in there while she is eating because he shoves his head right in next to her... we have also tried putting Calis bowl in a narrow closet with door open but blocking the sides so that only she can fit in but he has jumped over and contorted his body to still get in there. We have caught him doing this. He's out of control.

TazCal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I echo the above question about how/if you are handling a reduced amount of food for Tazzy. If you didn't do a reduction slowly over time, Tazzy probably isn't dealing with the change well - not just mentally, but physically. My mantra about putting a cat on a diet is to remember the endeavor is a marathon, not a sprint. It can take a long time in order to help a cat adapt. And, usually each time the food is reduced in quantity it should be done by no more than 10% - ideally 5%. Each reduction should really not occur any faster than once a month. It may be slow in getting the weight off, but it sure helps the cat adjust more easily.

In addition to that, many cats either won't eat prescription renal food or they end up growing to dislike it after a period of time. That could also be part of Tazzy's problem with wanting Cali's food. There are other low phosphorus foods that are not prescription that Tazzy might like better. You can use this food chart as a reference - Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease- Canned Food Data USA (felinecrf.org).

Are you considering changing Cali's food from dry to wet? That would help some. Secondly, you really will likely need to find a way to separate them during meals - also as noted above. It isn't exactly cheap, but you could consider putting a micro-chip door flap to one of your rooms and work with Cali to recognize that is where her food is. Unless Tazzy follows her through the door flap, he won't be able to access her food, helping with his weight loss and certainly stopping him from injuring himself. .
Thanks so much for your response! I really like the microchip door idea! Im just concerned once he realizes her food is through the door he will big boy her and get in there lol! Not sure he dislikes his food because he eats it fine and yes we tried giving Cali wet food but both brands we've tried give her really bad diahrrea.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah, if he follows her to the door constantly, that could pose a problem, for sure! Maybe if they are fed at the same time, or setting his timer a minute or two before hers, he will be too busy with his own food?

When you tried feeding Cali wet food did you do a slow transition? Maybe 7/8 dry and 1/8 wet, and then gradually increase the wet while reducing the dry? Sometimes if the transition is made more slowly digestive issues can be avoided.

TazCal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, if he follows her to the door constantly, that could pose a problem, for sure! Maybe if they are fed at the same time, or setting his timer a minute or two before hers, he will be too busy with his own food?

When you tried feeding Cali wet food did you do a slow transition? Maybe 7/8 dry and 1/8 wet, and then gradually increase the wet while reducing the dry? Sometimes if the transition is made more slowly digestive issues can be avoided.
No I don't think I transitioned using that ration of wet to dry... I think I tried like half n half at first and then reduced... So do you think if she has wet food he won't eat hers anymore? I feed them at the same times, however, he eats all of his in one sitting and she likes to graze so when she goes back to her bowl throughout the day that's when he sneaks in there.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No, I can't say whether or not her being on wet food will stop his interest in her food, especially if it is not the same as his. And, if he is prone to wanting more food than he gets, he may try to eat hers anyway, even if it is the same food!