Kidney Damage Confirmed - Where To Go From Here

xcourtney3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here's the test results. We're doing a urine culture but can't do any more tests after that. Where do I go from here? I have changed his food to low phosphorus. Is it just a waiting game now? His behavior and demeanor are normal.

BUN:CR RATIO w/ SDMA
Test Result Reference Range
BUN 22 16 - 37 mg/dL
CREATININE 2.0 0.9 - 2.5 mg/dL
BUN/CREATININE RATIO 11.0
SDMA (1) 16 0 - 14 ug/dL HIGH

URINALYSIS ADD-ON
Test Result Reference Range
COLLECTION METHOD NOT GIVEN
COLOR YELLOW
CLARITY HAZY
SPECIFIC GRAVITY 1.034
GLUCOSE NEGATIVE
BILIRUBIN NEGATIVE
KETONES NEGATIVE
BLOOD NEGATIVE
PH 6.0
PROTEIN (1) NEGATIVE
WBC 0-2 0 - 5 HPF
RBC 0-2 HPF
BACTERIA NONE SEEN
EPI CELL RARE (0-1)
MUCUS NONE SEEN
CASTS NONE SEEN
CRYSTALS NONE SEEN
UROBILINOGEN NORMAL

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So it seems as though he is in the very beginning stage of kidney disease. That's good that you've got it early. I've had three cats with kidney failure and none of them were got early. Basically, yes, it is a waiting game. At this point in time, there is not much for you to do. Cutting down on the phosphorus might be a good thing to do, but I would NOT necessarily cut down on good high quality protein, which is what some old fashioned Vet's recommend. You might add a kidney supplement to his diet, but that might or might not help. Some people do it, and whether or not it helps probably has not been clinically tested :wink:. But may guess it that it makes people feel better knowing they are doing something :wink:

Here, this website is my "go to" for anything kidney related. At this stage, you can take your time looking it over, but it will be helpful to you as the months and years go by: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat Yes, I did say years! My guys all lived for at least three years after diagnosis, and as I said, they were NOT in the very early stages upon diagnosis. With any luck, your little man will still have many years left :hugs:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xcourtney3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much. My little boy is only 7, he will be 8 in November. I have had him since before he opened his eyes. He was bottle fed. I always told people he would live 20+ years and it breaks my heart knowing he won't. I feel so helpless.

xcourtney3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi again mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens
I feel a lot better about all of this now. I've got both cats on probiotics and fish oil - I read in the facebook CKD group and on Tanya's site that these things can help. Simba is on a low phosphorus food now. We have to recheck in a few months. Still feel bad about it sometimes.. but he is so carefree and full of life, I'm just trying to take it day by day and enjoy my babies

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Glad he is still full of life. That's what's most important! And glad he's accepting the probiotics and fish oil. Not every cat actually likes fish oil, strangely enough.

Let's hope his check-up a few months from now shows improvement. Wouldn't that be something ?:crossfingers:

spiritscript

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So it seems as though he is in the very beginning stage of kidney disease. That's good that you've got it early. I've had three cats with kidney failure and none of them were got early. Basically, yes, it is a waiting game. At this point in time, there is not much for you to do. Cutting down on the phosphorus might be a good thing to do, but I would NOT necessarily cut down on good high quality protein, which is what some old fashioned Vet's recommend. You might add a kidney supplement to his diet, but that might or might not help. Some people do it, and whether or not it helps probably has not been clinically tested :wink:. But may guess it that it makes people feel better knowing they are doing something :wink:

Here, this website is my "go to" for anything kidney related. At this stage, you can take your time looking it over, but it will be helpful to you as the months and years go by: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat Yes, I did say years! My guys all lived for at least three years after diagnosis, and as I said, they were NOT in the very early stages upon diagnosis. With any luck, your little man will still have many years left :hugs:
Thank you!!!

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My last two cats died of kidney failure, and they illustrate how impossible it is to predict how any individual cat will respond.

My Grigio was diagnosed at age 7 (I adopted him just a year earlier). He would not eat any food except Fancy Feast (I tried them all), and I didn't know about phosphorus binders then. However, he remained stable for the next 6 years with hardly any change in his BUN/creatinine. Then he suddenly crashed, and his kidneys failed within a week.

Two days later, I adopted Sunny who was also 7. I noticed him drinking a lot of water and feared another kidney issue, which was confirmed by my vet--but he was in early stage, and because of my experience with Grigio, I thought we'd have some time together. He, too, resisted any food except Fancy Feast, but I added a binder. He gradually stopped playing, and a year later, he was almost to stage 4. He stopped eating right after those labs, and although we tried SubQ, it wasn't making any difference. I had to let him go after just 19 months. Like Grigio, he was so miserable at the end that making the final decision was relatively easy.

Tanya's website (which you've been referred to) is invaluable, and I read it constantly with both of my boys. My personal advice is to just love and cherish your cat for as long as you have time together.

xcourtney3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's been a while, I wanted to update this. Simba just had senior bloodwork and a urinalysis. He isn't in kidney failure! His SDMA went down to 11 and his creatinine went down too! The changes we made is switching to wet food and using fish oil.

xcourtney3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise