Kibble soup

Lectrice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted a five year old cat 6 weeks ago, just after he had 8 teeth removed. The staff at the Humane Society said to just give him wet food for the first two weeks and after that add kibble but moisten it. Now Jack doesn’t want to eat dry kibble. He likes it quite moist and as it dries out during the day, I add water to it. I clean out the dish every morning, and add fresh “kibble soup” for the day. I also give him A serving of wet food every day and some Greenies, which he gobbles up, even though they are rather crispy. Not that I can go anywhere now, but I’ve worried that if I go away for a night, and his kibble is dry, will he not have anything to eat.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is no need to feed any kibble really. If you can afford to feed all wet, do three wet meals a day. If you are worried about being gone overnight, get a food dish with an ice pack or put the regular dish on top of an ice pack on a tray. The ice pack will keep the food from spoiling overnight.

If you want to or need to feed some dry kibble, you don't need to moisten it. Most cats don't chew kibble anyways and will swallow it whole, you can slightly break up the kibble by putting it in a blender or a bag and hit it with a hammer if you are worried. I had a cat who had most of his teeth pulled during his life and never had problems eating kibble.

But health wise, all wet is better because of moisture content.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dry food isn't meant to have water added to it. Doing so encourages bacteria to grow and that may cause an upset tummy.

Can you only feed canned food? Dry food isn't necessary to feed at all. It's really just a convenience item for pet owners. Easy to store and feed and usually less smelly than canned. A programmable timed feeder works great to give your cat portion sized canned food meals throughout the day or night.

Freeze dried raw food has a softer texture than dry food and may be an option to feed. It's supposed to be rehdyrated in water before serving but can be fed dry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lectrice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all the helpful information. I will give him wet food 3 times a day and have some dry kibble nearby to see if he eats that. I just don’t want him to feel hungry. First time cat owner here 😺

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's ok for a cat to feel some hunger pangs :) The tummy doesn't need to be full and satiated 100% of the time.

LAL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's ok for a cat to feel some hunger pangs :) The tummy doesn't need to be full and satiated 100% of the time.
The assassin cats have heard you and are on their way; run while you can!!