ki9tten beat up puppy?

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hey just those of you with experience of puppy and kittens we have a tiny toy breed puppy that is full of himself he will rush the othe rhouse pets including the houses cats well one of my roomies brought in a kitten and the kitten is fine with the puppy but sometimes she will stand on her hind legs hiss and smack the puppy silly now the puppy is a bit afraid of the kitten which is shocking beccause this puppy use to be full of himself but he gives the kitten a wide berth now did they just establish who is alpha? It is so shocking to see this puppy avoid something or be afraid of another animal cause she is just so full of herself

merrytreecats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Depending on how small this puppy is your kitten could seriously hurt him. I'd watch closely, toy dogs can be very fragile. Chances are your kitten is just playing; even if she is hissing, cats and kittens can get overexcited during play. Either that or she's never seen a puppy before and is a little freaked out by him, in this case, she will calm down eventually. but either way I would watch them pretty closely.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep the kitten's claws trimmed! With kittens this means weekly clipping and frequent checking because they're claws grow so fast.

I'm betting that the puppy is just confused as to why something so small can act so aggressively. Kittens play rough, I honestly think they're rougher in their play than puppies are. It's been a long time since I've had a litter of puppies around, but I don't remember them ever leaving scratches, bites, or pulling mouthfuls of fur out (common, but rough kitten and cat play in my house
).

Distract kitten with play if the puppy can't handle it's attention and try to keep the kitten from becoming a bully. If they know they can torment another animal, many kittens will do it even if to them it's no more than a rough game.