Keeping Two Girls Or A Boy And A Girl Better?

laughingduck

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will be adopting two littens who are littermates. I had planned to adopt a girl and a boy because Ive just always heard the opposite genders get along best. I’m wondering how true this is? Would two females get along equally well? I’ve picked out one female for sure, and now am torn between a male and a different female. Help me decide!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think the kittens personality plays a part of it. You wouldn't want two dominant personalities but you also don't want one too aggressive with one too submissive. Its a fine balancing line. I don't know how much gender actually affects behavior but I personally prefer a boy and a girl or two boys. I've only had two females once and it just did not go well.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Generally, yes, a girl and a boy or 2 boys will get along better (provided everyone is altered before the hormones kick in of course). 2 girls tend to develop rivalry issues later in life.

But it also depends on the individual personalities, so if the 2 sisters are especially close it could work out just fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laughingduck

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I asked because I find the two girls playing together often. It made me wonder if they would be a better match. I think I will stay safe and stick to the girl/boy pair though (they also get along very well, he is just lazier and not quite as playful as his extremely playful sisters!). I tend to favour boy animals too, just wanted to make sure I was making the roght choice :)

laughingduck

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think the kittens personality plays a part of it. You wouldn't want two dominant personalities but you also don't want one too aggressive with one too submissive. Its a fine balancing line. I don't know how much gender actually affects behavior but I personally prefer a boy and a girl or two boys. I've only had two females once and it just did not go well.
Did the females you had come fro the same litter or were they introduced later in life? Im rethinking my decision again because I walked in the catroom and the sisters were cuddling together. Ugh, I cant decide!

Attachments

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did the females you had come fro the same litter or were they introduced later in life? Im rethinking my decision again because I walked in the catroom and the sisters were cuddling together. Ugh, I cant decide!
My two females were a year apart in age. One was completely docile and the other was very aggressive. It could have been as much personality as anything else.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had 2 female sister kittens (spayed) that were raised together and got along fine for 3 years with the other 3 neutered boys... then one of the female kittens owners moved out and took her with you.

That said 1 female was bold/bossy & the other one was very chill/laid back.

So with kittens the personality matters to. I have heard of fighting female cats and female cats loving on each other.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My experiences with girls really vary. Sibling girls can be a lot of squabbling but usually it's no different than human sisters, and an hour later they're cuddled up, but problems arise if there are two dominant types (or two defensive types, both wanting to be tops but neither are really cut out for it). Same with boys, but IME their fights/arguing are scarier, louder, but usually forgotten almost immediately whereas the girls can hold a grudge.
My boys are great little hunters and super cuddly but my girls kick their butts when it comes to doing the actual "real" hunting and are my best mousers.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My boys are great little hunters and super cuddly but my girls kick their butts when it comes to doing the actual "real" hunting and are my best mousers.
I have two boys and a girl right now. The whole statement could apply to mine but this part the most. Rocket once sat next to a dresser a mouse was hiding under from 4pm through night and into the next day. I found a broken mouse when I got home from work at 5pm the next day. The boys? Fury got bored waiting for the mouse the about fifteen minutes after to ran under the dresser.

laughingduck

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok thanks! I wonder if littermates that get along really well in infancy turn against each other as they grow up? Has anyone experienced this?

laughingduck

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And that is hilarious about the boys and mice! That is one reason we are getting cats (not the main reason but a benefit for sure) so I would like a good mouser :)

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, I have two siblings who were very bonded when young (male and female) (they are 5 now). He was very dominant and her protector. She was very dependent. He would even let her eat his treats! Then at about 3 years old, he attacked her. I wasn't there when the attack happened but I think it was a case of displaced aggression. I had to re-introduce them (months) and while friendly now (they will sit in the window side by side) they are not bonded as they once were. She is much more independent now.
I have another pair very close in age but not siblings. He is very confident and she is shy and skiddish. They are close and will be 3 soon.

But the pair that loves each other most - the two males! So in my experience, temperament (and maybe gender) are the important characteristics.

laughingduck

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is there a way to tell personality from such a young age? They will be 6 weeks this Friday. I have another 2-3 weeks to figure it out, but Im not entirely sure what to look for?

My last cats I adopted (both gone now :( ) were a girl and boy about a month apart and they were soulmates until they died. I always caught them cuddling and cleaning each other and playing. I really hope I get another loving pair like that :)

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats are both female and they get along very well. If the two sisters are already friends it makes sense to keep them together. I think the opposite sex "rule" is a bit of an old wives tale; the personality of the cats and how you treat them is more important.

If they are already friends by six weeks I imagine they would continue to see each other as part of the same social group moving forward, as long as they're not separated for any serious length of time.

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have "followed" the kittens I fostered. They just turned 3. The most confident kitten became the most confident cat. He actually wrestles with the Golden in his fur-ever home. The shy ones are still shy. At our rescue, some of the foster moms will sit with the "new parents" and relate the personality traits they have observed. Are your kittens being fostered in a home? If so, the foster mom/dad might be able to give you the best advice.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Ok thanks! I wonder if littermates that get along really well in infancy turn against each other as they grow up? Has anyone experienced this?
Well, yes. I got sisters from the same litter because I thought they would be lifelong friends. I had a seven-year-old male at the time. I have many, many photos of sisters Iris and Lily cuddling when they were kittens. As they got older, Iris decided she was in love with Max. Followed him everywhere, curled up against him, encouraged him to groom her. Iris and Lily began to avoid each other and in fact, seemed to dislike each other. The cute, playful chasing of kitten hood became angry, hissing chasing in adulthood. Max is gone, but now at age 14, the girls still want nothing to do with one another. Darn it.

laughingduck

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have "followed" the kittens I fostered. They just turned 3. The most confident kitten became the most confident cat. He actually wrestles with the Golden in his fur-ever home. The shy ones are still shy. At our rescue, some of the foster moms will sit with the "new parents" and relate the personality traits they have observed. Are your kittens being fostered in a home? If so, the foster mom/dad might be able to give you the best advice.
Yes actually I am the foster mom! I got mom and her 7 kittens when they were 4 weeks old. Ive definitely been able to spot which ones are more outgoing and which are more shy. I have no idea how to spot dominance at thie age? The girl kitten we are keeping (her name is Sage) is the most outgoing, she was the first to come out of the kennel when we brought them home, and doesnt run at the vacuum or other items I’ve introduced them to. She loves her cuddles and will fall asleep on whoever is holding her. She is pretty laid back but also quite playful. She often sleeps on the cat tree instead of piled up in the box with the others, but I think this is because not all of them can actually get up the tree yet. The boy I was thinking of keeping (Shadow) is a bit more shy. He runs from strange noises (but only stays hidden for a few seconds, it’s not like things terrify him, but he is definitely more cautious). He is also a cuddle bug and very content to be held in someones arms. He is quite laid back. The other girl Im considering (named CC) is similar to the the boy, but a bit more playful and more adventurous (she is the first to get up most of our climbing structures). She tends to play a lot with Sage, and in some ways is more similar to her, but I wonder if their similarties would cause more problems down the line. It is such a hard choice. Also, two of them may seem glued together for a day or two, but then they will both paor up with others. None of them seem to not get along. Im just not sure whether to pair up more similar personalities or if opposites attract?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two boys, and two girls :) my girls play together, and love on each other more than they do the boys. The boys play together more, they play with the girls, but the boys like to play rough! the girls not so much, they like to chase with the boys, but when the much bigger boys start trying to play fight the girls end it. The boys play fight together all the time and love it.

Its really hard to say. my 4 all get along great, no issues. sometimes i think the girls are better together, and the boys, because they play the same with each other, and are more the same size. But then i see the girls cuddle the boys and the boys play with the girls, and its all good. I think two with the same personality is good, both playful, or both mellow. Or just get them all and then you dont have to decide...lol :clap: I think just go with your gut and it will all work out.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I agree with duckpond. Go with your gut. Rather than decide which two will get along the best—something that is really not easily predicted—adopt the two that charm you the most. If they end up growing apart as they grow older, they will love you! Mine don’t fight. They just don’t care for each other. But they do love me, and I adore them both.

laughingduck

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Or just get them all and then you dont have to decide...lol :clap: I think just go with your gut and it will all work out.

Omg don’t tempt me! Lol. I have considered keeping two kittens plus mom, but I think even three cats is too much, 8 cats..... lol

I guess I have two more weeks to observe them and decide. I wish I had longer but the SPCA wants them back at 8-9 weeks. It is going to be a tough decision!!