Keeping them off one window sill

david r

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! First post here.

We have two adorable female cats whom we love. The problem is that we are trying to keep them off one single window sill. The one in the bedroom. We don't mind it if they go to any other window. We also let them go out to our screened in patio so that they can view other animals and they love it out there, they spend most of their time out there during the day.

But at night, we want to keep them off the window sill in the bedroom. They play with the blinds and the noise keep us up. They've also broken parts of the blind in that window. We have picture frames on it and other things to try to keep them off that window sill, but they just knock them down or work themselves around the obstacles.

Is there anything that we can put on that window sill to keep them off it? We tried aluminum foil per a friend's recommendation but they didn't seem to mind it too much.

We close the door at night sometimes to keep them out but even going to the bathroom in the middle of the night it's an adventure because they'll try come in to get on that window. I also rather they didn't get on it during the daytime because of all the things we have on it (some of them they've already broken by knocking them down on the floor.)

Thank you so much for any advice.

charmed654321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What about something uncomfortable for them, like double-sided sticky tape?

Also, spray some orange oil (or strongly scented orange something) on the sill and blinds. Cats tend not to like that scent. I would personally avoid orange cleaner, but something strong scented and safe. My neighbor tried orange extract on the edge of a wicker bookcase her cat was chewing on, and that worked.

timestreason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In my bedroom, there was this one window the cats liked to get in and it was obnoxious because they'd bang on the window at night, if a cat happened to walk by.

I fixed it by using thumb tacks to pin the curtains to the side of the wall (note: on this window I have two sets of curtains, instead of blinds and curtains, and the back one is a single sheet, whilst the front ones are two pieces), and they couldn't get in.
The other suggestions are good, too. I heard cats hate the smell of citris, so maybe good old lemon juice?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

david r

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the suggestions. I went ahead and put some duct tape with the sticking side facing up held in place by some tape loops. We'll see if that works!

maherwoman

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Charmed654321

What about something uncomfortable for them, like double-sided sticky tape?

Also, spray some orange oil (or strongly scented orange something) on the sill and blinds. Cats tend not to like that scent. I would personally avoid orange cleaner, but something strong scented and safe. My neighbor tried orange extract on the edge of a wicker bookcase her cat was chewing on, and that worked.
Ooh...both ideas are PERFECT! I wholeheartedly agree!

malakaiii

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lemon juice may or may not work! My cat LOVES lemon juice. She'll lick it off my finger, make a sour face, and then go back for more...

Funny thing, though. I'm having the same problem! Tak can use any other window in the house, except for the one in the computer room. She's accesses it via my desk, knocks stuff EVERYWHERE, and wrecks the blinds in the process. She likes to race around, looking out all the windows, when she sees another cat outside. Every other window has been made cat-friendly for her, but this one is very inconvenient for me!

I think I will try the sticky tape too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

david r

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, last night I heard both cats try to get on the window sill. Lots of "testing their paws" on the tape. After about a minute of acting confused, they gave up. After that, they went to the living room and I heard them playing with their toys.

It worked! Let's hope it continues working!