Keeping the adults out

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I have attached 2 benches together for the 4 kittens I have rescued over the summer. This way they can get some rest, eat their own food and don't get into anything dangerous while we're not there.
The thing is, as soon as I leave one of the doors ajar just enough for a kitten to go through, one of the adults will push it open and start devouring the kitten kibble. I am racking my brain on how to keep the door ajar enough for the kittens to go in and out how they please but not have a big fat adult :redtabby:go in there.
I added a picture of what the 2 benches look like, so you get an idea of the door.
Any ideas?

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Somehow have an opening that is small enough for the kittens but too small for the adults. Or feed the adults some hard food to keep them busy while the kittens are eating. My cats just ate all together, I feed adults and kittens and enough for all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
These guys have had it rough and could do with the proper food, so they get wet food and kitten milk. But I also like for them to be able to get some dry kibble whenever they want as they are growing. My big cats don't need the extra nutrition hahaha. Once they're spayed they'll be moved on to the same schedule as the adults.
But for now I need to keep the adults out of their safe place

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
So I have attached 2 benches together for the 4 kittens I have rescued over the summer. This way they can get some rest, eat their own food and don't get into anything dangerous while we're not there.
The thing is, as soon as I leave one of the doors ajar just enough for a kitten to go through, one of the adults will push it open and start devouring the kitten kibble. I am racking my brain on how to keep the door ajar enough for the kittens to go in and out how they please but not have a big fat adult :redtabby:go in there.
I added a picture of what the 2 benches look like, so you get an idea of the door.
Any ideas?
My cats are on a timed schedule. 3x a day. If you are gone all day,leave a food timer for the kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got busy looking after the kittens, the last one to come in, Mimi, developed a nasty URI, after first beating a flea infestation that left her a bit anemic. The kittens she was with already had a minor URI a few weeks ago, still they're sneezing as well now. Poor little Mimi, so congested and she's still so loving and rubbing my face with her snotty face and her infected eye(yes I wash afterwards, but I will not deny her cuddles).

But concerning the door, I had a rope on the top to prevent it from swinging open to far and some insulation tube on the rim of the door to stop it from squishing kittens. This worked well