Keeping Indoor Kitters Cool In Extreme Heat.

lolliegoth

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys - I know it is probably very cool where most of you live but right now Canberra Australia is slightly on the warm side (though a number of my fellows are really having it harder in other regions). I just wanted to ask what do you do in temperatures over 38 degrees Celsius to keep you kitters safe and thriving?

I have seemed to work it out for my three (having December and January off work - just at home helps) but I would like to hear your methods. Yes lots of water, cool them down, wet food, occasional (unliked) bath at night..... What is your way of keeping your kitters on the up and up?

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Even though it is expensive when it gets really hot and humid I run the air conditioning 24/7. Cats originated in the desert so they are tolerant of heat. They probably tolerate heat better then cold.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lolliegoth

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wish I could - have AC in one room and when I put it on they hate it (so it is run for about an hour a year!) We have dry arid heat. They just become flat out like a lizard drinking. Agree about the cold - when it hits zero to five below I can't even get them out of bed for breakfast!

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I used to live in Rome, we had no air conditioning. My persian cat hated the warm temperature (Rome is terrible during the summer, so hot and humid) and I used to wipe him with a damp fresh cloth. He loved it.
Now I live in Perugia and we have an underfloor cooling system. The apartment has a nice temperature, and the cat rolls on the floor like a seal

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lolliegoth

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds amazing! Do you have pics? Of the cat...I mean.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just make sure they have plenty of shade, and maybe look for one of those 'cooling' mats I have seen for pets. It regularly gets near 37.8C here in the summer, and I have noticed the outside cats do fine as long as there is shade for them to lie in. They don't move much when it is hot! If yours are inside, provide a fan on very low to move the air around. Instead of upsetting baths, just wipe them down with a wet cloth.