Keeping her out of the xmas tree...

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm looking for innovative ideas for keeping Annie out of the Christmas tree. Please refer to this thread for details. :rolleyes: Yeah, she's cute and all (same reason God makes all babies - human, feline or otherwise - cute. So their parents don't kill 'em! ;) ). However, as I said in the picture thread, she destroyed our previous fake tree. This is brand new $250 tree that I would really like to see last more than 1 year - 2 tops.

I looked for citrus scented...anything air freshener. Car, air, anything citrus. This going on the idea that most cats do not like citrus scent and will avoid it. Apparently lemon scent is so 2 years ago or some other time because it sure isn't this year! Not one lemon/lime scent in the automotive or smelly stuff aisles. Even went to Pepboys - nothing there either. I did find a spray orange/vanilla scent at Pepboys and tried dousing the center of the tree, especially in "her" spot. We can still smell it so it didn't disappear, especially not since I re-applied today at lunch. DH came downstairs to find Miss Annie passed out in the tree not an hour after I sprayed it.

I did buy some vinegar and a spray bottle with the same idea in mind - that cats don't like that smell either. I'm going to try that tonight and see if that helps.

Other ideas that I haven't tried yet:

• Tin foil??? (I don't know how I would get it to stay since she sprawls across multiple branches)
  • Sticky stuff (see above - it didn't work with Mojo to stop her from scratching my chair. Mojo likes chewing on sticky tape/StickyPaws :rolleyes: These are my cats!)
  • SSSCAT

Re: SSCAT: If you aren't familiar with it, here's the page on Amazon and a short video of how it works. Pros: Effective when we aren't there to catch her. Cons: Sensor is only in 1 direction & on 1 set of branches; Annie would likely knock over the tree getting out of it - but it might keep the stinker out of it for a while!

Has anyone used SSCAT? Any experiences?

Any other ideas? Either on how to keep her out or how to keep my tree from falling apart and looking like crud if we can't keep her out?

x2006nkg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you posted this. I was thinking if someone didn't post one soon I'd have to. As soon as my tree went up, the kitten went up the tree lol. Like 5 feet up off the floor, hanging out in the tree like it's normal. Everyday I come home from work there are (plastic) decorations all over the floor 

One thing my friend recommended (I have not tried it yet, but I will) was to get clementines or oranges, and squeeze some of the juice into water and put that in a spray bottle. That way it's a strong and natural citrus scent. I'm sure it could go the same way for lemons. 

So far, that's all I've been told, but I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see other suggestions! 

annie_belle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What some silly kitties!  Great pics by the way!

My cat and Christmas experience was not with the tree, but with a string of lights that caught the attention of our adult American Shorthair, Baxter.  When I caught him staring dreamily at the lights, then saw him start to chew, I remembered about Vick's Vaporub...and how cats detest that strong scent. 

I rubbed it on the cord in various places and never had another issue with Baxter showing any interest in the cord.

So, perhaps you can try applying some on the tree branches, ornaments or cord to deter Annie?

Hope this helps!

Until next time...Annie...and no, I'm not the one in your tree!!!

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've had the same tree for 4 years because I'm waiting out our kitten! Lol so far this year, she hasn't climbed in it but this is the first year she hasn't. The branches are still smooshed from her first 3 christmas'. If we make it through this year with her not getting in the tree, we'll get a new one next year. I just gave up on trying to keep her out.

Here she is her first Christmas. Lol

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm looking for innovative ideas for keeping Annie out of the Christmas tree.
:spit: :lolup:
:flail: :rofl: :flail: :rofl: :flail: :rofl: :flail: :rofl: :flail: :rofl:

Sorry Heidi, I gave up on trees long ago. Between the dogs wagging their tails and knocking off the ornaments or wrestling in the room and knocking over the tree, then the cats climbing the tree or chewing the lights, it wasn't worth it. I sold most of my ornaments, and the ones I like I hang from the kitchen cabinet knobs. I hang bows and wreaths all over the house (up high on walls) and put out nicknacks in places where the cats can't kill them.

belle2006

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Get SSScat!!! It is amazing!  Keeps the 3 cats we have off of counters, tables, and out from under trees!!  Put one on each side of the tree to get them from different angles and it works great. 

Got them from Amazon and love them!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Serious attempt #2:

I've lightly spritzed vinegar on the interior of the tree and moved our small landing-pad table further away. I re-spread all the branches on the tree so we'll know for sure if she got into it even if she doesn't get caught.

Earl didn't want me to do the vinegar yesterday...he was sure that his yelling at her and squirting her with water when he caught her completely passed out again in the branches. :rolleyes: That didn't work.

But he is pretty sure that she's jumping into the tree from the table, which does make sense. The other point of access is the couch arm which would be a pain to move. I think it may be the couch, but we'll see. (He didn't see the area by the couch disturbed from his perspective from across the room...not sure how that works. :lol2: ) She doesn't appear to be climbing up from the bottom. None of the branches below her preferred level are disturbed. Just to be sure, though, I did spritz multiple levels of the tree with vinegar.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've used Boundary spray in the past with some success. I think after a while the cats get used to the smell but by then the "newest" of the tree is gone and they (my crew at least) leaves the tree alone. The only problem is it does stink and should be reapplied every few hours in the beginning. Last year I only had to use it for a day or so and the cats basically ignored the tree after that. Well, except for laying under it and batting the bottom ornaments off the branches (nothing breakable). It's worth a shot.

glenman12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a 6ft artificial tree that my older guy just trashed...bent every branch...comes with the territory..

minlee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats did the same thing they get the ornaments and then bent the bottom branches.  I hate when that happens..

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats did the same thing they get the ornaments and then bent the bottom branches.  I hate when that happens..
Have you guys seen this?  Maybe we all need some "real attitude adjustment."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love that cartoon. :lol2: Earl (my husband) sent it to me after we started the battle of wills.

I thought I had success. It was a passing phase. :lo2: I think she was jumping into the tree from the table so moving that threw her for a little bit. Then she remembered that she could climb up the middle. :rolleyes:

The vinegar had absolutely no effect. I thought it stank but apparently it was fine to her sensitive little nose.

Earl's next suggestion is to decorate it and somehow this is going to dissuade her from going in it because it will have too much stuff in it. I think that will just mean cool toys for her to play with until she dozes off in her special place.

So far Annie is definitely winning. :lol2:

belle2006

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you tried SSScat yet?  Our cats have not come close to our tree because of the SSScats. I highly recommend them!