Keeping cats off counters?

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so sick. I know chocolate is bad for cats. I was sleeping and dh was in the kitchen left his chocolate milk glass in the counter. He always fills it to the rim. I here him yell at Zane.
Well Zane was drinking his chocolate milk. Im so sick. Hes 10 years old and no matter what we do. He jumps on the counters constantly. I take him off. Tell him to get off. I even put him in a different room or behind the gate when making their food because he jumps up there as soon as we turn our back. Dh knows that but doesn't pay attention. He sprays them with a spray bottle. If he walks in the room. They usually jump down. But of course go up as soon as he leaves the room or has if back turned. Dh fills his glass to the rim. So sadly he probably got a lot of milk. 😭

Bowling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sure he will be fine, maybe a bit of runny poop, but it won't harm him x I'm always catching my cats up to no good, drinking from toilets, inside the dishwasher, eating from plates in the sink and licking out of a cold frying pan, the trouble is they are so independent and don't do anything we tell them 😉

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just search "counters" "table" or "kitchen" in thread title. We have discussed this many many times.

Other than the pick up and put down method, the loud "no!" or other noise, and the squirt bottle, all of which fail sometimes and have failed you, the major additional category of methods is putting stuff on the counter/table to discourage the cat from going up there. I've never done that, but it seems to me its a better solution for a counter than a table, since I wouldn't particularly want to have something weird covering the kitchen table. Your best bet may be to continue to try to get husband's cooperation to put cat away at mealtimes. You wouldn't necessarily need to do it forever. A few weeks might break the habit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure it will work. Can't teach sn
I'm sure he will be fine, maybe a bit of runny poop, but it won't harm him x I'm always catching my cats up to no good, drinking from toilets, inside the dishwasher, eating from plates in the sink and licking out of a cold frying pan, the trouble is they are so independent and don't do anything we tell them 😉
Yea but chocolate is really bad for them. If it was just white milk maybe. Makes me sick. I try to never turn my back on son like that I know could kill him. Dh knows he gets on the counters. But still blames me cuz they are "allowed" on the counters 🙄🤦‍♀️. Though he's the one who didn't pay attention.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just search "counters" "table" or "kitchen" in thread title. We have discussed this many many times.

Other than the pick up and put down method, the loud "no!" or other noise, and the squirt bottle, all of which fail sometimes and have failed you, the major additional category of methods is putting stuff on the counter/table to discourage the cat from going up there. I've never done that, but it seems to me its a better solution for a counter than a table, since I wouldn't particularly want to have something weird covering the kitchen table. Your best bet may be to continue to try to get husband's cooperation to put cat away at mealtimes. You wouldn't necessarily need to do it forever. A few weeks might break the habit.
I tried follow foil once. Didnt work. And cant cover the whole counter with tape.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Someone posted motion sensor air spray bottles they bought on Amazon. SSSSSSCAT or something like that

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks just looked at reviews and videos. They either loved it or hated it

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure it will work. Can't teach sn

Yea but chocolate is really bad for them. If it was just white milk maybe. Makes me sick. I try to never turn my back on son like that I know could kill him. Dh knows he gets on the counters. But still blames me cuz they are "allowed" on the counters 🙄🤦‍♀️. Though he's the one who didn't pay attention.
It is true that chocolate is bad for cats. But chocolate milk is quite dilute. You took a couple spoonfuls of bad and mixed it with a glass of runny poops. The litterbox may be a disaster. But he’ll be fine. He didn’t drink/couldn’t drink enough chocolate milk to worry about chocolate toxicity.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I fought with this one for most of her life about the counters. As she got older, I found, when she was fussy or sick, it was easier to feed and medicate her at my level than at hers and I relented on the “No counters” rule.
FAF008CA-7528-4295-8D6B-6B1AC912F942.jpeg

I welcomed her on the counters during her meal prep and we’d chat back and forth while I got it all ready. It was some of the fondest time I spent with her in those last few years. Here’s her wearing her ten cent Halloween costume for all of about three seconds to get a picture.
3858D5B9-3ECC-4471-9B4F-7081F64C51BA.jpeg

My lessons learned with Krista was that she will test the counters with far more determination than I had for deterring her. If I took up the double sided tape or turned off the Sssscat, she would know because she kept testing her training. I find it’s a LOT easier to train the humans than the cats. Krista taught me to wash my dishes or she’d wash them for me. 😛🤦🏼‍♂️

Hopefully your husband won’t leave a glass of chocolate milk unattended now. If you think in terms of “they will get up there”, you’ll be more mindful of what you leave out on the counters as much as what you leave on the floor.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
TCS has an article with tips:

These will also be helpful:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because I'm a bit of a science nerd, I thought I'd do a bit of research for you.

There is 64 grams of theobromine in 2 tbsp of chocolate syrup. Hershey's recommends 1 tablespoon serving. But I've been guilty of wanting an extra chocolately glass before.
source: Chocolate Toxicity

The toxic dose of theobromine is 200 mg/kg.
source: How Much Chocolate Is Toxic to Cats?.

A 10 lbs cat is roughly 4.5 kg.

A toxic dose of Hershey's Syrup for a 10 lbs cat is 900 mg. That's 28 tablespoons of chocolate syrup for 28 glasses of chocolate milk--or 14 glasses the way I make it.

In other words, the lactose in the milk, as many cats are lactose intolerant, will likely be the more disruptive influence here.

Last edited:

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Because I'm a bit of a science nerd, I thought I'd do a bit of research for you.

There is 64 grams of theobromine in 2 tbsp of chocolate syrup. Hershey's recommends 1 tablespoon serving. But I've been guilty of wanting an extra chocolately glass before.
source: Chocolate Toxicity

The toxic dose of theobromine is 200 mg/kg.
source: How Much Chocolate Is Toxic to Cats?.

A 10 lbs cat is roughly 4.5 kg.

A toxic dose of Hershey's Syrup for a 10 lbs cat is 900 mg. That's 28 tablespoons of chocolate syrup for 28 glasses of chocolate milk--or 14 glasses the way I make it.

In other words, the lactose in the milk, as many cats are lactose intolerant, will likely be the more disruptive influence here.
Thanks I just saw this post. My dh does use a lot of syrup. Im not sure Zane is ok. He doesn't seem to be peeing in the litter box or anywhere. Hasn't been down there since this morning. Im calling the vet in the morning. I gave him a prazosin i had for a while. Did help him pee. I think he might be dehydrated. I gave him some water with a bit of food. He drank it right up. Im worried he'd getting anemic. He was drowsy after the prazosin. But I think that's normal. He does feel warm. But we are working on one ac. So this side of the house is a bit warm and humid. I brought him to the boxes he just jumps out. Any other ideas?